Rear Window Defogger

Rudy Korb

Hi again,

In my 71 Avanti I have as an optional item a Rear Window Defogger that I know nothing about. On the back shelf it looks like a speaker grill, but actually houses a coil and a small fan. I know what it does, when it works, but not how to operate it. The only extra switch that I have on the dash happens to be under the dash, just to the right of the hood release. It is a 3 position rotary switch with the knob being flat and about the size of a half dollar. I would assume this switch to be: OFF-HIGH-LOW. So far I can't find it's use. Getting back to the defogger: does this operate independently or do you need to have a heater/defroster switch turned on? Any help would be appreciated.

Rather than start a new post, what are "EPPE" driving lights??? My build sheet says I have them.

Thanks in advance, Rudy

My '70 has that same rear window defogger. In my car at least, it's a rotary switch under the dash on the left side...over the hood release. The switch you describe sounds like the correct switch and it works as you surmise. Maybe the location of the switch depends on who was installing it in any particular car at the time. It does operate independently as a stand alone option, and you have to have the ignition switch on or in the accessory position. Mine works fine but it clears the rear window slowly. If yours doesn't work, check to see if it's getting 12 volts to the switch first. If it is, then check to see if there's power coming out of the switch. If there is, then check to see if the electric motor is getting power and the unit is grounded. It shouldn't take long to determine where any problem might be.

To be honest, using the air conditioner is a much faster means of defogging the interior windows...windshield, side glass and rear glass. That rear defogger, like the front defogger, is quite slow at clearing fogged up glass.

"Eppe" driving lights are simply a brand of driving lights the factory sourced at that time. Later they went to Cibie lights. There may have been even other brands lights used, depending on availability or suppler preference. The build sheet for my car said it originally came with Eppe lights that were long gone by the time I bought the car.

Hey Gunslinger,

I guess I owe you another round of thanks. Your answers are exactly what I needed. Now, the next thing to do is the electric checks. My "EPPE" lights are also long gone and no holes to show where they were. That's the joy in buying a car that is 37 years old, a lot of things have changed. Thanks again, Rudy

Rudy...

You're more than welcome for the compliments, but what I know comes from experience...that means I learned it the hard way! I try to remember it so I don't make the same screw-ups a second time, and sometimes they do occur.

You won't find any holes for the driving lights. The factory bolted mounts to the front bumper brackets. They may still be there (mine weren't). If you want to add driving lights, you can get replacement mounts from Nostalgic Motors and buy whatever lights you like.

Edited by Gunslinger