Art - '63 Avanti R1

Darrell White

Hello,

Just joined the forum! Stumbled across this site a while back while researching Avanti's for an upcoming (at the time) art piece.

This is my father's former 1963 Avanti R1, number unknown to me. He bought it in either '64 or '65, when still pretty new. Had it for many years, but sold it before I was around and has been kicking himself ever since. Every now and again, I see a II out there, but been a few years since the last sighting.

Anyway, I'm a professional artist, mainly doing commissioned art pieces of cars or motorcycle road racing. I do amature sport bike road racing myself, and got back into art after a few years off and started doing race pieces or classic car art. My Father kept asking me to do a piece of his Avanti, but I couldn't seem to fit it in between commissioned pieces. Finally was able to do it, recently finished, and going to give it to him for his 76th birthday next week. Just got it framed this evening.

The media is prismacolor pencil, and sized 14 x 17. Lots of time on this one, approximately 100-120 hours I'd say from start to finish.

Also, if anyone is interested, I will have limited run prints available soon, small poster size ~18 x 24 or so.

Please give feedback, just want to make sure I got all the details plugged before I give it to him next week. Thanks for looking!

2606548050_c4d3446da8_b.jpg

Darrell

Thanks!

Although I just had an oh crap moment after shuffling through some more photos...forgot to add the rear view mirror on the dash. Have to fix before hand. Oops!

The mirror is mounted above the dash about 8"

The mirror is mounted above the dash about 8"

The mirror was mounted on the glass on production models. The early prototypes had the mirror mounted on a ball socket on the dash itself, similar to many Chrysler cars of the period. If his Dad's Avanti has the dash mounted mirror, it's one of the original prototypes, unless someone swapped out the dash.

Back in the early '70s, the first Avanti I ever looked at hoping to buy had the dash mounted mirror. I distinctly remember that because it was like a '61 Chrysler my Dad owned. I wasn't able to swing the money for the car, and it wasn't until several years later after I bought my first Avanti and did some research that I realized I could have had a prototype car. If I only knew...I would have found the money somewhere.

Thanks for the compliments!

Well, I dug around some old photos and it turns out his had the production type windshield mounted mirror.

He received it today for his birthday and he really really likes it. Now he wants one of the front view. It should also be noted that he pointed out I forgot a few more things (haha) - first is the antenna mounted on the rear quarter...I knew this when doing the piece but forgot it. The last thing was I forgot to show the front bumber wrapping around on the fender. Oops again. So, now trying to keep it accurate, it's time to pull it out of the frame and add in those things. :)

Hello,

Just joined the forum! Stumbled across this site a while back while researching Avanti's for an upcoming (at the time) art piece.

This is my father's former 1963 Avanti R1, number unknown to me. He bought it in either '64 or '65, when still pretty new. Had it for many years, but sold it before I was around and has been kicking himself ever since. Every now and again, I see a II out there, but been a few years since the last sighting.

Anyway, I'm a professional artist, mainly doing commissioned art pieces of cars or motorcycle road racing. I do amature sport bike road racing myself, and got back into art after a few years off and started doing race pieces or classic car art. My Father kept asking me to do a piece of his Avanti, but I couldn't seem to fit it in between commissioned pieces. Finally was able to do it, recently finished, and going to give it to him for his 76th birthday next week. Just got it framed this evening.

The media is prismacolor pencil, and sized 14 x 17. Lots of time on this one, approximately 100-120 hours I'd say from start to finish.

Also, if anyone is interested, I will have limited run prints available soon, small poster size ~18 x 24 or so.

Please give feedback, just want to make sure I got all the details plugged before I give it to him next week. Thanks for looking!

2606548050_c4d3446da8_b.jpg

Darrell

I noticed the PA plate on your drawing. Any idea of the date your father sold the car and in what area of PA it was located. I purchased a 63 gold R1 in the Pittsburgh (Greensburg) area around 1966 and another 63 gold R1 in Philadelphia in 1968. I have the serial numbers of these cars in the event it fits in the time frame and area.