Brake Hoses & Proportioning Valve

DrDomovoi

So I have an '81 Avanti II and I need to replace the prop valve and the 2 front rubber brake hoses. I can't get ahold of Nostalgic so I'm trying to figure out what parts they really are. I found a mopar unit for the 72 Charger & several other models that LOOKS the same but I'd like to find out before I drop $100 on it. Same thing with the hoses they seem to be from a similar vehicle as in 60's/70's plymouth/dodge stuff. Any help guys?

If you can't contact Nostalgic, you can get the brake hoses from Studebaker International or Jon Myers, and probably some other vendors. The proportioning valve, or more accurately, the distribution block, rarely gives problems so you may not actually need one. I wouldn't buy one from another make vehicle just because it looks the same...it may be very different internally and might have a different front/rear pressure balance. That can either lock up your front brakes too soon or not soon enough.

If you want an adjustable proportioning valve, you can get one through Summit Racing or Jegs, or a local speed shop. That can be installed and the front/rear pressure can be set up best for the car.

So I have an '81 Avanti II and I need to replace the prop valve and the 2 front rubber brake hoses. I can't get ahold of Nostalgic so I'm trying to figure out what parts they really are. I found a mopar unit for the 72 Charger & several other models that LOOKS the same but I'd like to find out before I drop $100 on it. Same thing with the hoses they seem to be from a similar vehicle as in 60's/70's plymouth/dodge stuff. Any help guys?

Speak to Dan or Betty at Nostalgic Motors. They are closed on Fridays. Dan is an incredible wealth of information and will walk you through the entire process

If you can't contact Nostalgic, you can get the brake hoses from Studebaker International or Jon Myers, and probably some other vendors. The proportioning valve, or more accurately, the distribution block, rarely gives problems so you may not actually need one. I wouldn't buy one from another make vehicle just because it looks the same...it may be very different internally and might have a different front/rear pressure balance. That can either lock up your front brakes too soon or not soon enough.

If you want an adjustable proportioning valve, you can get one through Summit Racing or Jegs, or a local speed shop. That can be installed and the front/rear pressure can be set up best for the car.

Okay I'll try those suppliers you mentioned. The Dist. Block is pouring brake fluid so I'm pretty sure it needs replacing. I saw those aftermarket ones at Summit & etc. but I'm trying to find a stock part so I don't have to make new brake lines. Thanks!