Swing arm fuse panel in Avanti trunk

grobb284

PaceRacer50 of the Studebaker Racing forum suggested that I place the fuse panel in the trunk of the Avanti. It was a good suggestion and we went with it.

The best unused space was behind the drivers side rear wheel well. However, it would have not been easy to work on it sideways in the trunk.

Recently made a swing arm that rotates the fuse/relay panel enclosure from behind the driver's rear wheel. It moves it out to a more accessible position for servicing and making wiring changes. No more laying contorted under a dash. :lol:

This is the stainless enclosure, swing arm, and bearing assembly.

2442376117_50f899566d_m.jpg

The swing arm bearing assembly fits in the left rear body mount cavity.

2443204534_05fe97eaae_m.jpg

The electrical enclosure to placed in the normal position, right behind the wheel well.

2443204722_5ec5e01573_m.jpg

The electrical enclosure in the servicing position. I don't plan on closing the trunk when the enclosure is in this position, but can someone advise me if the hinges would clear? I may forget sometime. :rolleyes:

2443204630_55caba62cf_m.jpg

It seems to me a great location that's convenient and already located near the main wiring harness might be to mount a universal fuse block or a fabricated one on the flat cowl area immediately behind the brake booster. Access is easy while you're simply standing there rather than rooting around the trunk and the entire cluster of wires can come up from underneath rather than running mases of wires to the trunk and back. I would think the longer the wire runs the heavier gauge you might need for some circuits.

It just seems a logical place for a fuse block unless you already have something else planned for that location.

Joe:

Thanks for the photos. It appears that our electrical enclosure may not be any farther forward than the actual hinge bracket that secures to the fiberglass.

2446769143_9db9556867.jpg

I have circled your photo to show where we think it will be. Can you give me a dimension under this metal part of the hinge if it is different than the 10 1/2 you mentioned?

2442376287_55a111f1b6_m.jpg

This view is from the rear window opening taken from the passenger side, looking back into the trunk. This isn't a great perspective, but the enclosure will probably be just under the immovable metal part of the hinge.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Gunslinger:

Thanks for the input, we're trying to reduce the clutter within the engine compartment. The spot you mentioned would be a very practical location. Thanks.

Joe:

Was over at Fairborn Studebaker yesterday, visiting Phil Harris for some supercharger parts. He was kind enough to take us to lunch in his Avanti. We measured in his trunk when we got back. Looks as though we'll have an inch clearance.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards.

Joe:

Was over at Fairborn Studebaker yesterday, visiting Phil Harris for some supercharger parts. He was kind enough to take us to lunch in his Avanti. We measured in his trunk when we got back. Looks as though we'll have an inch clearance.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards.

Glad to hear you have verification of clearance confirmed. We have been a little swamped at work and I missed your request for additional info.

Awesome project you have going there :)

Best regards,

Joe Menacker

Martinsburg, WV

Edited by jmenacker