Brake lights

IndyJimW

I've seen a lot of discussion on the forums of ways to have Avanti brake lights seen better. My '87 Avanti Coupe came with 7 brake light bulbs and it was still not up to par with todays cars. So to help others decide how to upgrade their Avanti I am going to unplug different sets and take pictures with the brake lights on to show how each upgrade will help.

The first upgrade I made was to line the sockets with reflective tape from Home Depot, this has made the biggest improvement.

Her are the options I'll show:

Two brake lights.

Two brake lights with 4 bulbs.

Two brake lights and Center brake light.

Two brake lights with 4 bulbs and Center brake light.

Two brake lights with Trunk lights.

Two brake lights, Trunk lights and Center brake light.

Two brake lights with 4 bulbs, Trunk lights and Center brake light. - My '87 came from the factory this way.

LED bulbs - I finally found a 1157 LED that works. It is as bright or brighter than a regular 1157 but fills the whole lens with light with no shaded areas. You would have to change all the lights to LED because they operate quicker, when installed next to regular bulbs they come on first and shut off first. Plays tricks with your eyes.

If anyone has a different way let me know and I'll try it.

Jim Wood

Avanti 2 light system -

305202205.jpg

Avanti 2 light system with 4 bulbs -

305202221.jpg

Avanti 2 light system with Center Brake light -

305202207.jpg

Avanti 2 light system with 4 bulbs and Center Brake light -

305202217.jpg

Avanti 2 light system and Trunk lights -

Avanti 2 light system with 4 bulbs and Trunk lights -

305202206.jpg

Avanti 2 light system with Trunk and Center Brake lights -

305202225.jpg

Avanti 2 light system with 4 bulbs, Trunk and Center Brake lights, Factory on my '87 -

305225871.jpg

I would first recommend that you get some reflective furnace tape from Home Depot and line the insides of your light sockets, this made one of the biggest improvements to my brake lights.

305202210.jpg

This is the factory 3rd brake light out of my Avanti, its GM and I think from the Monte Carlo donor car. Disassemble and check any light assembly for melted plastic sockets as this is quite common. Thats the reason its sitting on my work bench, installed new socket and LED light.

305203882.jpg

This is how the factory modified the standard light asemmbly for the Avanti to accept 2 lights.

305202228.jpg

Good luck

Jim Wood