Where's the VIN on a '67?

Poodle

There should be an ID plate on the driver's side body either above or below the door lock, along with a sticker of what government standards it either meets or is exempt from.

The only other one I'm aware of is there may be (don't know what year they started this), is an embossed label attached to the back of the driver's side of the padded dash cover. The unfortunate thing is you have to remove the dash to see it. I don't think they started that as early as '67. For a '67 the VIN will start with "RQ-A"

If the factory ID plate is missing, you're pretty much out of luck unless you have some documentation with the car. Engine numbers are basically Chevy codes, but they are recorded in the car's build sheet. That's saying the car has its original engine still. Build sheets are available through Dan and Betty Booth at Nostalgic Motors.

What's the reason? Are you looking at a car to buy that has no readable VIN?

Thanks Gunslinger:

The reason? The car actually belongs to my long-time neighbor, who has finally decided to get it running after a couple decades of non-use. If I remember correctly, he brought the car in from out of state, and now wishes to register it here in California. To do so, he was told to supply a VIN from at least TWO locations. Why two, I'm not sure.

The person who is restoring the car can't find the VIN, soooo, I thought I'd ask someone who knows!

When you say the VIN is on the driver side body near the door lock, do you mean on the outside, inside, or in the door jamb? I don't have access to the car to check!

Thanks,

"Poodle"

It should be on the door jamb close to the lock receiver or whatever it's called. If you open the driver's door and look on the body by the lock receiver you should see it.

If the owner has a title for the car, I don't know what problem California would have registering it. If it came from a non-title state, I don't know what the procedure would be. Back then, few cars came with more than one VIN plate, I don't believe it was mandatory until a few years later, though a number of manufacturers did do it. I don't believe Avanti Motors did it until later.

If your neighbor can't come up with documentation to satisfy California or find the VIN, many states will assign their own VIN for the car and provide a VIN plate.