Avanti II Radios

bobav78

My 1978 Avanti II (RQB2679 - just purchased this summer) has a Panasonic radio that looks like it might have been a replacement. My reception varies from excellent to non-existent with a great deal of fading in and out. I understand the antenna is embedded somewhere in the rear window trim - could that be the problem? I have suspitions about the whole radio unit because the cassette player no longer works, so the unit may be at the end of its life. I did remove the grill on top of the instrument panel and tried to find as many connections as possible and they all seem secure. I looked in the trunk and the speaker connections seem okay, but I really couldn't tell anything about the antenna although I think I may have found the antenna wire where it goes up into the window trim - but beyond that, couldn't see much.

If I decide to replace the radio - any suggestions on ones on the market that might fit? (I have marked down the dimensions so I know what to look for in that respect.) Also, is it a fairly easy job to replace the radio by removing the grill from the top of the instrument panel? It doesn't look like it should be too bad, or am I missing something and I should leave it to the professionals?

Thanks for any advice - this forum is a tremendous help, especially to those of us new to Avantis.

To the best of my knowledge Panasonic was never a factory installed item, unless possibly a customer specially ordered it that way. About the only way you can find out what the oe radio was is to order a copy of the build sheet from Nostalgia Motors. My '70 was originally equipped with a Blaupunkt stereo but it had a partially-functioning Pioneer when I purchased it.

First, chuck the one you have...it's simply not worth repairing. Then you have a couple of options. You can find a radio that fits the factory opening...not tough. You won't be able to upgrade with a stereo/CD player as the dimensions for the opening simply won't allow it. The best you can do is get a stereo with built-in cassette, but you can find one with connectivity to a remote CD player.

You can try Custom Auto Sound for a unit like that. I have never had experience with them, and I have heard mixed reviews of their stuff, but it is something you can look into.

Another option is to take your dash out, and have the radio opening modified to fit a modern stereo/CD player. It is a permanent modification and has to be done carefully. I would let a qualifed auto stereo installer do it. I had that done to my car and it looks and works great...I much recommend Alpine...probably the best stereo dollar for dollar out there.

If you want to simply do an r & r with a similar radio, it's not too bad if you don't have air conditioning...you can go through the evaporator section of the console. I don't know if a radio will go out the speaker opening...maybe it will. Radios now are much more compact than the units designed when the cars were new.

As far as your antenna, the first thing to check is antenna grounds. An antenna needs a ground plane to receive properly and fiberglass bodied cars don't provide one. The antenna...whether a stick antenna or a glass mounted one, will need a ground wire going to the car's frame somewhere. Without that, your reception will be very limited.

For what it's worth, my '82 (RQB 3420) has a Blaupunkt Model CR-3001 AM/FM cassete. I believe this was a high-end unit back then, so it probably is OEM. The antenna is located on the left rear quarter behind the gas filler door and automatically retracts into the trunk when the radio is turned off. I have had no problems with this radio or antenna, and the sound is superior or equal to any car stereo from that period that I have had experience with. The car is also equipped with a Cobra 40-channel CB radio (of all things) which is secreted in the trunk, and also appears to be period-correct.

I bought an 83 about the same time you bought yours. Mine had a nonworking cheapo Blaupunkt "Denver" AM-FM-Cassette player. Mine has what was supposed to be an automatic antenna mounted in the usual drivers side rear fender location. The extension-retraction isn't working but for now I'm just leaving it extended.

You might want to see if you can borrow an antenna to see if that might be the problem. Shouldn't be too difficult to temporarily clamp it onto the car (rear bumper maybe?)

On mine, I removed the old radio through the "change tray" opening, installing the new one the same way. That's what used to be the dash speaker opening. I bought a Jensen CD6112, a pretty simple CD receiver. These radios apparently come in standard sizes - I looked at several others which had the exact same dimensions.

Instructions called for a 183mm by 52mm dash opening. The Avanti's radio mounting depression isn't quite big enough for that plus the new radio's faceplate trim ring. What I did was cut the dash opening to allow the faceplate to extend maybe 1/8" and then cut (and filed) the aluminum original radio front trim piece to "frame" the new radio. I don't have the ability to take the radio's faceplate off, but for a $70 unit that's a "so what?"

You don't have to remove the dash. It's pretty thin fiberglass, not that hard to cut (I'd feared it might be stamped steel under the padding). I didn't do a perfect cut, but the aluminum plate covered the minor irregularities. Just be aware that nothing will mask any mistakes on the aluminum plate cut. A good installer might have done a slightly better install, but I'm quite pleased with the result.

• 3 weeks later...

Forget the 'Custom Auto Sound' - J U N K ! ! ! ! !

If you want one to fit the opening you already have, Ken Harrieson Ent, INC., has them for the Avanti. They offer 4 models - 100 watt and 200 watt - with auto reverse cassettes and optional [rca input and outputs] cd capabilities.

PLUS - if you order from them, they will also put an "AVANTI" tag on the tape door.

Ecklers, MidAmerica, Original Parts Group and others, have all quit handling the Custom Auto Sound, and replaced them with the Ken Harrisons - they were getting entirely TOO many complaints and returns.

You can also mount the cd player in your glove box - just drill a small hole for wiring and the rca patch cord, and you are in business.

Though, I would suggest upgrading your speakers if you decide on the 200 watt unit.

You will also have to enlarge the shaft holes about 1/8" to the inside, and the rectangular opening will need about an 1/8" off the top.

Good Luck