wire wheels

arkus

recently purchased rqa 0201, registered in vermont for many years as a '67 but per john hull's book a '68. the wheels are chrome real wires and have an "A" center cap but the "A" is sort of stylized with one side straight and the other curved. i don't know if wires were available from altman then or in the future specifically with an avanti cap. i researched ansen and american racing but found nothing. i'm thinking this is gunslinger's territory and expertise! other's ideas welcome.

That sounds like a wheel from Appliance which made sport rims during that era.  Whether they still exist as a company I don't know.  The wheels were most likely added by a previous owner as I've not heard of Avanti Motors using Appliance wire wheels.  I don't believe wire wheels were even an option that early and then Avanti Motors offered Borrani wheels.  

Whomever added the wheels could have chosen Appliance for the "A" in the center cap.  Here's a pic of an Appliance wheel center...I'm guessing this is what you're talking about.

s_l640.jpg

and you are 100% correct bruce, exactly what the caps look like!  thank you for your efforts. george perry