Hood Clearance

tgipe

I'm installing a GM 350 crate engine in my 1983 Avanti and want to use an Edelbrock 1406 carb and a Edelbrock 2101 intake manifold. Will this set up have proper clearance for the hood? If not, what information do you have if you've done this installation. Thanks, RQB3636

It should clear fine...that intake actually sets the carburetor back somewhat towards the higher part of the hood. What you can do is check with Edelbrock's website catalog as it gives instructions on how to measure for hood clearance.

THe Edelbrock carburetor is a clone of the original AFB but updated so dimensionally there should be no difference. You might also look into the Edelbrock Performer EPS 2701 intake. It's designed specifically for square bore carbs like theirs and has somewhat better horsepower and torque numbers than the Performer 2101. It is slightly taller but if it fits I would choose that.

Whichever you choose you'll be happy with the results.

Yes, you will be OK. I have the Edelbrock 1406 carb and a Edelbrock 2101 intake manifold on my 75 with no problems. The dimensions of body vs. engine mounts should be the same.

A good way to do the final clearance check is to put a piece of play-dough or some molding clay on top of the air cleaner. The play-dough will compress to actual clearance.

If you should have a clearance problem (you will not) there are many air cleaner options

Joe

I also am using the 1406/2101 combo on my 1971.

And I have less than 1/4" of clearance, even with a drop 10" air filter. Majority of my problem stems from a PO pulling the body shims, until my car actually sits lower and with more forward rake than a 1663/64. Am giving thought to going back to the stock intake and carb. At least then I had over 3/4" of clearance.

George