Avanti/Toaster Oven

dclewallen

My name is Darryl Lewallen and I've been interested in Studebakers for several years. I'm in the process of restomoding a 53 Starliner and have just purchased a 66 Avanti II off E-Bay. The question I have is about the amount of heat I'm getting in the passenger compartment of my Avanti and ways to lower the temp a bit. I posted this topic on the SDC forum and recieved alot of good suggestions. In some Stude. vendors catalog [i think] a while back I saw a seal kit for something vent related on an Avanti that was supposed to stop the hot air . I can't locate it now and was curious if any of you might know what I'm describing and where it could be found? Thanks all for any help you would provide. Darryl

Welcome to the group!

Avanti's run hot...get used to it. It seems to be the nature of the beast, but there are a few things than can be done to help.

Primarily about all you can do is make sure the seals around all interior vents, wiring, etc., are in place. You can put insulation inside the bulkhead behind the dash.

Considering the age of your car, the vent tubes from the cowl to the transmission tunnel are likely deteriorated beyond recognition, so instead of directing cool air to the tunnel and console area the air is probably venting where it's not needed. That can be replaced but it's a pain unless you remove the dash.

One big thing you can do is have the padding under the carpeting replaced with heat barrier padding. Most any automotive carpet and upholstery shop can get it. It's not as inexpensive as standard carpet padding but it does do a good job.

Hope this gives you some ideas and again...welcome to the group.

Hi Darryl an welcome to the world of Avanti's

The air vent seal kit is 800525 $15.00ea. need two

Hood seal is 3177X3 is $30.00

From Studebaker International 317-462-3124

Hope this helps. :)