R2 4spd combo

Endl98

whats the chance of finding something laying around. I would like to find a original motor trans combo for my 63 r2 4sp 63r1705. I found something but it is not a rs supercharged block, just a r3 cloned engine.

wow I won it. now I hope its everything the seller said it was. I did speak to him over the phone. Now I will have a motor to replace the blown/ missing one in my car. I will transplant the engine and trans from my white one and swap out the S/C motor and 4 speed back. being my car is not really stock or number matching. I wish the motor didn't blow back in 68. My dad tinkered with it to much , cam and I think a pulley swap. ended up blowing the bottom end.

since you were the previous owner, can you tell me about the car. the man from texas didn't know much other than its not a real r3 . what IS done to the motor, is it a 289 or 304 does it have r3 valves. etc??? I own a auto repair shop and I a very skilled tech with body skills. I plan on ripping into it to see whats inside, unless you can shed some light.

eric

63r-1705

Edited by Endl98

Congratulations. Sorry I missed the auction, not in the market but would love to have seen the posting and bidding.

What was advertised and what was the final bid?

Thanks for the link, and congratulations again. Just trying to get my 63 back on the road after about 18 years. Hope to take it to Rhode Island at the end of June. I have owned it since 68 and it is a numbers matching car (63R-1025) Only thing I can think of (other than paint and upholstery color) non-stock is the dual master cylinder that we installed.

Thanks, my 63 was My fathers, he purchased it right out of the navy in late 62 or 63. from the dealer in merrick Long Island, He met my mother in the car, He raced it a lot and in 68 blew the R2 motor, one of his friends had a salvage yard and had a wrecked 68 Camaro with a 300 hp 327, they swapped motors and my dad put a power glide in it so my mom could drive it. I was almost born in the front seat on the way to Huntington hospital in 70. My cousin jimmy was in the back seat that day , he says they were going 110 down the highway with a cop in front of them, He said buddy , you were 5 minutes from being born in the front seat. I helped prime the car at 3 years old, I grabbed my dads spray gun and went to town , He was so upset , I drove this car in High school. won best car in school at the car show we had, I parked it in the garage in Houston in 87 when I graduated, and it sat there until 3 years ago. when my father past. he never drove it. I moved back to New York in 87. so for 26 years it sat. I put a battery in it a fresh gallon of gas . dribbled a bit in the carb, and it fired right up after 2 minutes of cranking. Ive looked ta a few bad R2's . I almost bought the rough gold on on ebay for 10 grand, but decided it was to rough for the money. I jumped at this one, Knowing they do not come complete this often,

So I will transplant the drivetrain into mine. so I can at least get it back to a supercharged 4 speed again. I own a repair shop and we do so custom cars a few times a year for fun and slow days.

My father was a custom car guy so he made it his own, he removed the marker lights and reverse lights , install round ones under the bumper. added rear flares that mimicked the original well openings. side pipes, and painted it pearl with what is called pastel freak spots. its a 70's car. I Love it, I don't know if I should go back to a stock look . Or make it Mine.

Either way im so excited about the r3 cloned combo. and I get to have 2 Avanti's to play with, maybe will go a little custom with the red one. who knows.

I have a few other rides, and I pulled funds from my 63 nova wagon build to by this red one. I can make more money, but its not often I get a chance like this.

We have a few things in common. My son took the Avanti for a little off road experience spinning the car and taking it through a farmers barbed wire fence. Barbed wire and fiberglass, not a great combination. When I moved form California to Maine I pulled it out of the garage and hauled it cross country and put it in the barn. In recent years my son has come out and we picked up parts at a So Bend and St. Louis meet and we have been putting it back together. While looking for parts I saw 71 parts car on ebay for about $2k. No title so not much bidding, however; Maine is a non-title state for cars built before 1995 so no problem. The car had only 17,700 miles and was a factory 4 speed. It is going to be my "fun" car.

My first wife didn't like the turquoise so the 63 became a dark grey metallic with black interior, Other than those 2 changes the only other non-stock item is a recently installed dual master cylinder, else the car is the way it was originally sold by Studebaker. That said, this was one of the R3 prototypes used by Paxton to develop the production R3 and there are a number of modifications that were made by Paxton before Studebaker eventually invoiced the car.

Where in New York are you?

Im located on Long island,

Allen had the avanti sold months prior for way more money but had lost the title and it took a few months to get a new texas one,

END98:

I grew up in Wantagh, NY.....When I was 17 and without a NY senior license I went on my bike to the Stude dealer where your dad bought his car on Sunrise Hwy in Merrick to see the Avanti. When the salesman told me it was over $5k - that was it for me and life got in the way for about 40 years. That showroom is now a "Canco Tile" showroom.

You are so lucky... BUT I must add that my car #5255 also has a very interesting story !. GOOD LUCK

Let me get some of the little known facts together from the daughter of this WWII vet..............I'll get back to 'yall !

Long Island is where i picked up my 71. It was an abandoned project. It was detached from the frame and had been soda blasted. Based on last inspection sticker from mid 90's car only had 17k miles on it. Bumpers and a few other parts missing and no title, so for most a parts car only, but Maine is a no-title state for cars built before 1995!

yes Mainly title in maine can re title a car.

Its kind of easy for me , as I own a repair shop. I just lein the car and in a few months I can get a title.

But I used Mainly once, and then their prices tripled, but I do have the number from the girl who did a re title a few years back. Mainly brokers the jobs out today.

Avantifred, I know where that canco tile store is. Thank you for that, Now I can show my kids where grandpa bought our Avanti.