Mystery Wire

Deano

RQA-271 has a stub out from the main wiring bundle that runs along the top of the firewall that is for the coil. It has three wires, one which is the pink resistor wire for the + coil post, another which is the green/black stripe wire for the temporary 12V starting feed from the starter solenoid also going to the + coil post. The third (mystery wire) wire is black and goes to the - post along with the Delco points window distributor black wire. It's this third wire that I have no clue as what it's for? This car has its original factory tach which works. From what I have learned mainly from Bob Johnstone's Avanti website, is that the factory tach gets its signal from the + power feed through the sender to the coil. So, that third wire to the - post would not be involved with the tach, right? Does anyone know what it's for?

Thanks, Dean

Thanks for the reply Charlie. I don't think it would be a ground because a continous ground would null and disable the coil. It seems, and this is a guess at this point, is that the mystery wire is providing a beat signal for something. However, since I have ruled out the tach as I mentioned in the posting above, it remains a mystery. What in the factory setup besides the tach would need a beat signal? Are there other RQA cars out there with the same wire?

Makes sense Jim. I did not previously relate that info on Bob's site as applicable to our Avanti thinking it was for Larks only, but it may turn out that it's for our RQA car too. My plan was to disconnect the wire and start the car to see if the tach is not working, but you may have allready solved my mystery anyway. I am currently rehabbing the distributor and the carb so the engine is off line for a while.

Thanks, Dean