Power window motor for my 78 Avanti

davette59

The driver side window will only go part way up or down and stops. Wait a few minutes and it will go another few inches before stopping. It seems like there is some sort of overload that heats up and resets when it cools down. If some one pushes the window button while I pull to assist the window it will go all the way. It seems to stop after a little resistance for a few seconds. Like a piece of bi-metal heating up and then cooling down.

If I need a new motor, does anyone have one? Also, are the difficult to replace?

You may have a bad circuit breaker for the power windows. If it overheats the same thing results. It's located under the dash...maybe by the fuse box but maybe elsewhere under the driver side of the dash. Circuit breakers are only a few dollars...it's probably worth that due to its age to just change that and see if it makes a difference. They're pretty easy to find at parts houses.

Like Gunslinger said, before tearing into the door it's way better to change out the breaker to confirm it's not opening up under normal rated current. The reality is probably that the actual window mechanism is in need of attention and has so much drag that the motor is drawing high current and popping the breaker. On the bright side-since it also does it while lowering the window, there's a good chance the window regulator spring is intact. Hopefully it's just the CB, good luck!