2002 Avanti Convertible - What Size Tires Are Correct ?

I have a 2002 Avanti Convertible. Got it in April. Have had great drives with this call in dry, in hot and in rainy weather. I am very pleased with this car's performance.

This car has 235/45Z R17 Front Tires and has 245/45Z R17 Rear Tires. The speedometer, compared to GPS tracking, appears to be fairly accurate.

The Glove Box Door has a Tire Info Plate that shows 235/45Z R17 for the Front Tires and 255/45Z R17 for the Rear Tires.

Searching for info for the (donor car) 2002 Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am Conv. at local tire stores I see: 245/45 R17 Front & 315/35 R17 Rear at Discount Tire.

I see 275/40 R17 Front & Rear at Belle Tires. I see 255/45 R17 Front and 275/45 R17 at Tire Rack. The 2002 Pontiac Firebird Owners Manual sez 275/40Z R17 Front & Rear.

When I do replace the tires on this car I suppose that I will follow what it says on the Glove Box Door Tire Info Plate ...... or ...... ???????????

2002 Avanti SideView.JPG

2-2002             Lt Rear       11May2024.JPG

2002 Front 11May2024.JPG

Hey Gold..

Glad to hear Your enjoying the Ride. I knew Ya would. Remember I bought mine on Jan 15th, 24. They are absolutely a fun ride.. Plenty of power, pretty good handling. Not really a full blown sports car but close (My Porsche 928 will whoop it in the twisty roads)...I've done 2 small venue car shows. It went over extremely well at the shows. Lotta questions. The most asked is "What is this?"  I set my trip odometer to 000 and decided I won't drive it over 1000 miles a year. I'm at 750ish now. So soon it will be mothballed for the Winter. I'm currently sitting at 43k miles.

I'm Lovin It  !!!

My answer to the tire issue is I wouldn't exceed the width listed in the glove box. Why? That size might be the max to keep tires from bashing into the fiberglass, especially in the Front during a turn. That turn could end up in the Fiberglass being cracked.

DSC_0018 (10).jpg

Edited by aardvark