63 R! Shock Absorber Replacement

stewd

Some others may want to confirm, but I've seen some discussions on the topic that Koni or Bilstein shocks are a good choice. They are more expensive, but are also much better quality.  Someone who has installed Bilsteins may be able to provide the front and rear part numbers. I'd actually like to know that answer because I need to replace the front and rear shocks on my Avanti. My rear shocks are really worn out.

A few years ago I installed KYB shocks on the front of the 62 Lark Daytona hardtop I just sold this past weekend. They are good shocks and were still working well. I'd provide the part number for them, but I gave all the maintenance records to the new owner. I might be able to dig up a receipt in my email when I get a chance to look.

Edited by Mark L

My apologies for taking so long. I was not able to find the KYB part number for the front shocks I installed on my Lark.

Good sources of data will be the Bob Johnstone Studebaker information webpages and the Studebaker Drivers Club website. Similar questions have been asked and answered.

Edited by Mark L

This is a link to a pdf file with part interchange information from the Bob Johnstone website. Shock absorber information is on page 9.

Pay attention to the notes under the table. In some cases, minor modifications may need to be made to get a particular brand and part number to fit.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://studebaker-info.org/Tech/njnagel/interchange2.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjTzs3S5OCGAxWQBUQIHXSbDtcQFnoECBwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2dNLeK8hfODO9dA1zEmjYV

Edited by Mark L