Something's missing ...

I have a recently purchased 1963 Avanti R1 that runs and drives but needs lots of attention under the hood. About 10 inches below the power steering fluid reservoir is what looks to be a 3/16-inch or so metal tube, open ended and pointing upward. It looks to me like it's missing a rubber connecting hose. But to where?
A similar, adjacent tube and hose seem to connect to the area below the water pump.

I've been through the Workshop Manual and Chassis and Body Parts Catalog and can't find what I'm looking for. What is it, and what do I need to make it whole?
Many thanks.

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

check to see if this tube runs alongside the fuel line. if so, likely the fuel return line. most 63s had a special "T" from the outlet side of the fuel pump that returned some of the fuel to the tank. later cars had a fuel filter with a glass bowl that provided the same function.

Edited by 64studeavanti

If it's adjacent to fuel supply line, it appears to be a similar issue I recently had on my 63 R1. Some of the parts are listed in the parts manual, but they are not illustrated.

A 1/4 inch inside diameter fuel hose should connect from the T on the output side of the fuel pump to that line. At the T, there is a special 1/4 inch hose nipple that threads into one of the 1/8 NPT ports on the T. The inside of the nipple is plugged with solder and a small metering hole drilled through it to control how much gas gets routed back to the fuel tank.

I recently ordered a replacement nipple from Myer's Studebaker Parts in Ohio. Without me asking, they also sent a new T and a new flare fitting for the supply line to the carburetor that connects to the other port on the T.

All three parts with shipping was about $40.

Edited by Mark L

The graphic from the manual that 64studeavanti provided shows a fuel pump for a R2 supercharged engine with three fittings. The R1 only has two fittings, the one at the bottom left is the supply from the gas tank. The fitting on the right side is the output from the pump that sends gas up to the carburetor and to the return line back to the tank. The nipple that points to the right is the one that connects to the return line back to the tank.

Edited by Mark L