63 Avanti Starting Problems

I am having issues starting my 63 Avanti. The battery is charged and the car cranks well but the car will not fire. I have gotten lucky firing up the car just as I release the key. Its hard to say but it seems like it finds a sweat spot as I release the key slowly. This has happened a couple times. Otherwise the car just cranks but does not fire.

The car has a electronic ignition system installed....

I am thinking it is the ignition switch. Any other ideas on what the cause could be? 

20 hours ago, Supercharged63 said:

I am having issues starting my 63 Avanti. The battery is charged and the car cranks well but the car will not fire. I have gotten lucky firing up the car just as I release the key. Its hard to say but it seems like it finds a sweat spot as I release the key slowly. This has happened a couple times. Otherwise the car just cranks but does not fire.

The car has a electronic ignition system installed....

I am thinking it is the ignition switch. Any other ideas on what the cause could be? 

First place I'd check is the ignition switch based on what you said.

I think Ronman is going in the correct direction. It appears no voltage is going to the ignition coil when the key is in the "start" position. When the key is returned to the "run" position, you get voltage to the coil (or electronic unit). Sometimes you are getting lucky and turning the key back to the "run" position while the motor is still turning enough to start the engine.