Safe to disconnect the power steering pump?

EnduroDriver

I'm in the process of digging through my lengthy list on the R1. The previous owner, bless his heart, was shall we say very creative regarding repairs. Anyway getting started on a complete makeover on the ignition and fuel systems while repairing some under-hood wiring butchery.

My question is actually about the power steering, it leaks, it leaks from everywhere it could leak from, it leaks from places it can't possibly leak from, it's quite the spectacle really. It's on my list to pull all the components and send them out for rebuild but I want to kick that can down the road a bit while I work on getting it running and driving properly.

1) Is it safe for the steering control valve if I just disconnect the belt on the pump and disable the system? I don't know if the valve can be damaged if hydraulic pressure being delivered to it while driving. 

2) Is there an off the shelf pitman arm that I could install to convert it to manual steering temporally while working out the other kinks.

This will probably not answer your question, but: about 20-30 years ago I bought a 60 Lark that obviously had had a seriously leaking power steering system.  The previous owner had removed the PS belt but left the system intact.  As a result, steering was sloppy, presumably due to the lack of hydraulic pressure in the control valve and ram.  There was at least a little fluid left in the system, and that may have provided enough lubrication.  I drove it that way for a little while until I rebuilt the control valve and ram.  They both worked satisfactorily after that.

If you want to temove the p/s system, a manual steering pitman arm and drag link can replace the p/s pitman arm and control valve.. ...Certain manual steering Stude Lark parts will bolt right on. But I'm not sure which years....Disconnect the slave cylinder at same time.

Only issue would be the 16-1 ratio steering box compared to the 22-1  factory Avanti manual steering box.  (although the 16-1 box was offered by Stude as a 'fast ratio' manual steering option in Avantis.... also, the 'donor' Lark would need to be equipped with a Ross steering box)

.)

Edited by mfg
added text

It's possible the above mentioned parts could be taken from a Stude SEDAN with manual steering back to the 1953 models...as long as donor car had a Ross steering box.

Appreciate all the advice. I definitely want to rebuild the power steering system, just the timing isn't right at the moment. Really just being able to move the car around the shop, maybe take it to the dyno for some tuning before digging in. I do have a steering arm off a Lark, not sure if it's for the Ross box or not, it was just available so I grabbed it on the chance it was the right one.