Fiberglass Vs. Metal

mfg

One major difference between the molds that were used to create Studebaker Avanti fiberglass body parts and the stamping dies used to create sheetmetal parts for other Studebakers, is that the fiberglass molds virtually last forever, while the tools to form the metal parts eventually wear out....True?

• 1 month later...

False. Having built many molds for fiberglas layups, I know they have a "life" and do not last forever. I am guessing metal stamping dies are similar. Sales quotas may be much less than the expected die lives. As you have mentioned in previous questions, fiberglas was chosen because the complex contours of the Avanti design would have challenged the stamping die tool makers of the time.

False. Having built many molds for fiberglas layups, I know they have a "life" and do not last forever. I am guessing metal stamping dies are similar. Sales quotas may be much less than the expected die lives. As you have mentioned in previous questions, fiberglas was chosen because the complex contours of the Avanti design would have challenged the stamping die tool makers of the time.

Great answer!.....Answer to question FALSE