R3 Type Upper Control Arms

mfg

I have a pair of NOS threaded bushing type upper control arm inner shafts. (complete assemblies) I think they fit '51-'52 Studebakers, and Studebakers with R3 equipment. Has anybody tried modifying '53-up rubber bushing type upper control arms to accept these threaded bushing type inner shafts? Certainly welding would be required, Would the effort involved be worth it for a street/show car?

I discovered that the welded on 'nut' at the OUTER end of a '53-'up upper control arm is the same one used at the inner end of '51-'52 & R3 arms. If I remove these welded nuts from the outer ends (which unfortunately would ruin two upper control arms), I think they could be carefully welded onto the INNER legs of two other '53-up upper control arms, giving the bushings for the threaded inner R3 shafts something to screw into! Interesting project!

• 2 weeks later...

The downside is the amount of road vibration and noise you will encounter after.

Tom

Yes, I agree with you....Performance wise the solid upper arms would be a plus...but these cars already ride hard enough without REMOVING a rubber cushion!

In my opinion staying with rubber is the best bet, poly squeaks and delrin is hard. Metal

bushings transfer much harshness. I had steel bushing uppers on the '78 Camaro for a

little while and it was too much, that said we are running 40 series tires.

Tom