Merry Christmas

bigdaddy

I've always been in contact with the person that I bought my '63 Avanti from , who owned it since 1964. Recently I've found the original owner and had a long phone conversation with. He worked for Studebaker at the South Bend plant @ the time he bought the Avanti. So as a gesture of appreciation, I sent them both a Christmas card with pics of the Avanti, that is in the process of restoration, but very road worthy. I received very nice responses form both parties. The second owner sent me a card with a very nice letter. The original owner sent me the same................and the "WINDOW STICKER!!!!!!". When I opened the envelope, I couldn't believe it!!.......He said that he loved the car, and may be coming my way in a couple of months and says that he would love to sit in the drivers seat 1 more time. I can't wait!!! ......... MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

It's a nice touch to keep former owners appraised of their former cars current status. I've tried to do that with mixed results.

I know in 20 years when I'm in a retirement home, I'd appreciate the gesture. As has been said many times before, we're just temporary caretakers of these cars.

Happy Holidays to all.

I totally agree about keeping former owners informed. I have been blessed with starting a very good relationship with these 2 gentlemen. They are as excited about me having the car as I am. I should have it mostly done by next year, and have promised them both a ride. I KEEP PROMISES! Happy Holidays!

I too enjoy hearing about staying in touch. The 1973 Avanti II that I had and restored beautifully was sold to J.S. in florida and we still write years later. The 1964 R2 that I bought from the owners son and have restored 4 times; ouch that is a reminder after original restoration-2 rear enders and then Superstorm Sandy, is another who I have kept in touch with. Twice in the last five years he has seen the car and smiled emotionally as he was told by me when I bought the car..:I will do a restoration to make your Dad proud. Tears in his eyes proved correct.

Mark

Thanks for the replies. I wish that I would have never sold some cars in my past, and would welcome a call or letter from the current owners. Any of my cars now, will be sold by my widow after I'm dead and gone! As J.Boyle stated, "we are just temporary caretakers of these cars".

Edited by bigdaddy

Sadly, I doubt if I ever will be able to track down my first Avanti a black, round headlight R1 with automatic, air and red & fawn interior titled as a '64. I officially bought the car 4/01/66 with about 5200 miles on it in Canton IL and sold it to a guy from Bloomington IL in early 1969 when I was a student at Illinois State University. I have no idea what the serial # is as I did not keep any of that information. In January 2011, I bought my 2nd Avanti, a 1976 from an older gentleman 45 minutes away from me in Naperville IL, who had the car since 1984. I have kept him informed of the mechanical restoration I had done on the car and have sent him pictures. He's been absolutely thrilled with seeing and hearing about the car's progress. We're going out to lunch in the spring when he's back in the area. I gave him an AOAI calendar when I bought the car to have memories of the car. I'm sending him a 2014 AOAI calendar which he should be totally surprised with when he sees that his old car is Ms. April! Through him and the paperwork he had included with the sale, I was able to get in contact with the original owner in Hatboro PA, learning about the length of time he had the car (3 years), why he got rid of it (fading paint), trading it back in to Avanti Motors for a 79 that was not any where near the car the 76 was. The car was sold by Avanti Motors to another man from Naperville, IL that had it from 79 to October 84, selling it the the man I bought the car from. As caretaker of the 76, I have kept all the information together and added a lot of paperwork from things I've had done to the car. That paperwork and documentation will go with the car whenever my length of stewardship of the vehicle comes to an end.

Edited by plwindish