Parking Light Lamps

Paulie

I have diffiulity changing the lamps within the small confines of my front parking lights especially when they have become corroded inside their sockets. My fingers are large and I find it hard to obtain a grasp upon them in order to push and turn them. Does anyone know of a trick to make their removal and insertion a bit easier?

Thanks,

Paul D. Eikenbary

I use my wife's smaller fingers to loosen the bulbs the other day. I discovered that, by spraying the base with WD40 (also into the socket), I could easily remove the bulbs with my big hands. The changed bulbs must have been in there for quite a while.

Does anyone know of a trick to make their removal and insertion a bit easier?

I haven't tried this, but I can envision fashioning a tool out of a short length of rubber tubing and a fat wooden dowel, such that the dowel with perhaps about an inch of tube extending from it's end (glued onto the dowel) could be pushed down onto the bulb, turned, and pulled out; reverse for installing. The tube, of course, would need to be enough smaller than the bulb to grip it. A dowel with a rather small suction cup on one end might be another approach.

• 2 months later...
I use my wife's smaller fingers to loosen the bulbs the other day.  I discovered that, by spraying the base with WD40 (also into the socket), I could easily remove the bulbs with my big hands.  The changed bulbs must have been in there for quite a while.

Hello, Gman,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I don't have the loving pleasure of a wonderful wife to help me out. I have purchased new front parking light lamp assemblies to replace my old corroded ones and, when I install them, I will spray the sockets and bulbs with WD-40. Others in our forum have suggested the use of close-fitting heater hose on the end of a stick would be useful. I think that might work.

Thanks for being out there for me and best regards,

Paul

I haven't tried this, but I can envision fashioning a tool out of a short length of rubber tubing and a fat wooden dowel, such that the dowel with perhaps about an inch of tube extending from it's end (glued onto the dowel) could be pushed down onto the bulb, turned, and pulled out; reverse for installing. The tube, of course, would need to be enough smaller than the bulb to grip it. A dowel with a rather small suction cup on one end might be another approach.

Hello, WayneC,

Thanks for your suggestion. Anothers' in our Forum came up with good ideas which I've pasted below:

Slipping a short piece of snug fitting heater hose over the bulb will facilate either operation.

Spraying both the bulb base and the socket with a liberal amount of WD-40 will go a long way towards preventing further corrosion and make the bulb easier to both install and remove

I use my wife's smaller fingers to loosen the bulbs the other day. I discovered that, by spraying the base with WD-40 (also into the socket), I could easily remove the bulbs with my big hands. The changed bulbs must have been in there for quite a while.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have purchased new front parking light lamp assemblies to replace my old corroded ones and when I install them I will spray the sockets and bulbs with WD-40.

Thanks for being out there for me and best regards,

Paul