Top 5 worst cars ever made, Studebaker has 2 spots

GAWen

Having owned 6 Hawks (4 GT's, a 56 Sky Hawk and a 1961 Hawk), a 1950 Commander Regal Deluxe Coupe and now a Avanti. I feel that Studebaker built some fantastic automobiles. Too bad that Mr. Ed was the only major advertising Studebaker ever got.

I was in the 'mail room' at Benton & Bowles Studebaker's advertising agency (NYC) when the Hawk was named and introduced.

I forgot about MR. ED. While B & B was a great package goods (like P&G) agency they had little experience with automobiles and it was a time when car advertising was cookie-cutter at best. TV was in it's infancy.

My policy is to never read any story with a headline that starts with a number. They are always useless crap.

In this case, I had to look...

No opinion on the Lincoln, but I like the other 4 cars in the story.

Likely true. However as someone who was alive and watching in the immediate post war years I believe the 1950's and some 1960 cars were very attractive. Design is where marketing starts. As bad company economics and reactionary management prevailed there was less for promotion. In those years the company paid workers 30% more than the rest of the auto industry.

Loewy and Andy G. were savvy marketing. Competition got tougher. The Avanti was not a winner. When people make a joke of your product the end is near.

• 3 weeks later...

Likely true. However as someone who was alive and watching in the immediate post war years I believe the 1950's and some 1960 cars were very attractive. Design is where marketing starts. As bad company economics and reactionary management prevailed there was less for promotion. In those years the company paid workers 30% more than the rest of the auto industry.

Loewy and Andy G. were savvy marketing. Competition got tougher. The Avanti was not a winner. When people make a joke of your product the end is near.

Avanti may have not been a winner(so far), but damnit...it's a surviver!!

That bozo is probably unaware that any cars were built before 1962. And since when were sales related to quality? Every Duesenberg belongs on the list. They only built 529 model Js. And how about the Bugatti Royale? Seven were built.