Electronic ignition

CommanderToasty

Would like to get improved ignition. Pertronix doesn't seem to have any application, nor MSD (which is a surprise). I know some people have installed an older Mopar ignition.

What does anyone know about this, do you have the spec on the Mopar, what car it comes from? Any other application that might work? Thanks

There is a Pertronix points eliminator kit that will work. I don't know the part number...maybe someone else will speak up. I do believe a couple of the Studebaker vendors carry them. I've no experience with them but I've heard Corvette guys talk about them...they love them or hate them. Many like them but say they keep a spare sets of points and condenser in the car for when and if the Pertronix fails. Basically, what a Pertronix does is eliminate the points...it really doesn't improve performance except maybe better starting. But...it will hold it's setting and timing where points wear.

I've heard of people who convert a distributor to the Mopar type. I don't know how it's done or how easy or effective it is.

There is one vendor who sells a new distributor that is optically triggered and I've heard no complaints about it. It is a bit pricey...$369. The vendor is Dave Thibeault...978-897-3158. He's got a great reputation among Stude people. He's big into Avanti performance items.

If your car has the original Prestolite distributor (it's not uncommon for it not to have the correct one anymore), it may well have worn bushings...a very, very common thing with the design. It can be rebuilt if you like. There's nothing wrong with the dual points, but they can be a pain to install properly. If you're unhappy with your ignition, it could well be due to the distributor bushings being worn. There is a small oil cup on the exterior of the distributor for regular servicing. It's not uncommon for people over the years to ignore it and the distributor wears prematurely.

Take the distributor cap off and grab the rotor...if there's any side-to-side play the bushings are worn. When that happens the ignition dwell isn't steady and the timing will fluctuate...making for poor performance. I'm not saying that's what you have, but it's something to be checked.

Well, I took it as given that I had the original distributor because the oil spout is there. But I pulled and the cap and found ... one set of points! Likely somewhere in history the breaker plate was changed. Problem is who knows what the dwell should be now?

But that isn't an issue because now I can put on a generic Pertronix without concern, and back it up with an MSD spark unit.