63 Avanti vinyl dash cover Installion

Ariel

I just purchased a 63 Avanti. I have a new vinyl cover that I need to glue to the dash, and install gauges. What I need to know is the best way to install

the vinyl. Should I put it out in the sun to warm up to make it more flexible ?

Also, on the cut outs for the gauges. There are spaces in the vinyl where the

gauges go. How much do I cut out of these spaces to put the gages in, do I

drill a hole, cut an X. Thank you for any help you can give me.

If it's the way I remember new dash coverings came, the area where the gauges go can pretty much all be removed as the gauge overlay covers that entire area anyway. You can simply cut out the circular areas for just the gauges themselves if you like.

A professional shop would probably place the vinyl under a heat lamp to soften it before installation so allowing it to pay in the sun for a time would be OK. You can do a test fit without adhesive to see f it fits OK as is or needs to be softened up some. It's been many years since I last installed a dash covering and I remember it as being a straightforward thing. The hardest parts were taking the dash out and reinstalling it after the covering was done.

Ariel

I just replaced one in Feb 2011. the guy that's doing my interior did it. I forwarded this to him.

I know you have to take the old pad off and he said you cut out where the gauges go on the new pad. My windshield was out when he did it which made it much easier. It's not a easy job.