rear axle outer oil seal

CASSIUS

Hello,

After refurbishing the brakes of my 63r1 2427 avanti the car was ok for a first run.

motor was running well, auto gear box doing its works but lot of noise coming from back axle.

It seemed the car needed to change the two back roller bearings of the dana 44 axle.

I order them to my suppliers but forgotten to get two outter oil seals (stamped 14748 on the ones that were on the car).

When i get back to the catalog in order to purchase them I didn't saw them on the back axle scheme.

Were the one on the car not mandatory? Are they still available?

Can anyone get me a photo of their axle or a close up scheme?

Thank you for your help.

Pierre

Hello,

After refurbishing the brakes of my 63r1 2427 avanti the car was ok for a first run.

motor was running well, auto gear box doing its works but lot of noise coming from back axle.

It seemed the car needed to change the two back roller bearings of the dana 44 axle.

I order them to my suppliers but forgotten to get two outter oil seals (stamped 14748 on the ones that were on the car).

When i get back to the catalog in order to purchase them I didn't saw them on the back axle scheme.

Were the one on the car not mandatory? Are they still available?

Can anyone get me a photo of their axle or a close up scheme?

Thank you for your help.

Pierre

Pierre,

I'm not sure from your post whether you have yet disassembled the axle or changed the bearings. If you have not, check to be sure that the noise coming from the rear is not just a bad rear universal joint. If the car is equipped with a "Twin Traction" differential, changing the lubricant can often make terrible noises disappear. If you haven't lubricated the axles bearings, it would be a good idea.

I will assume from your serial number that you have tapered (rather than flanged) axles. The axle bearings of the Dana 44 are lubricated only by packing them with wheel bearing grease. There is an inner seal that prevents the differential lubricant from leaking out into the bearings, and an outer "dust shield" that keeps the brake dust out of the bearing, and prevents the wheel bearing grease from leaking onto the brakes (very unlikely with modern grease. To lubricate these bearings is quite a chore, so on many Studebakers it just never got done.

The outer seals are still available for Studebaker International as part # 533161, at $20/ea. If the felt portion of your old seals is still OK and snug on the hub, I wouldn't bother to replace them.

One note of caution. Be mindful of any shims that are found between the brake backing plate and the axle housing. These are normally found on the right end of the axle housing. These shims are used to set the end play in the axle bearings. If you are replacing the bearings, it is very important to follow the procedure to set the end play with shims.This procedure is detailed in the Shop Manual.

Edited by Jim78

• 1 month later...

Pierre,

I'm not sure from your post whether you have yet disassembled the axle or changed the bearings. If you have not, check to be sure that the noise coming from the rear is not just a bad rear universal joint. If the car is equipped with a "Twin Traction" differential, changing the lubricant can often make terrible noises disappear. If you haven't lubricated the axles bearings, it would be a good idea.

I will assume from your serial number that you have tapered (rather than flanged) axles. The axle bearings of the Dana 44 are lubricated only by packing them with wheel bearing grease. There is an inner seal that prevents the differential lubricant from leaking out into the bearings, and an outer "dust shield" that keeps the brake dust out of the bearing, and prevents the wheel bearing grease from leaking onto the brakes (very unlikely with modern grease. To lubricate these bearings is quite a chore, so on many Studebakers it just never got done.

The outer seals are still available for Studebaker International as part # 533161, at $20/ea. If the felt portion of your old seals is still OK and snug on the hub, I wouldn't bother to replace them.

One note of caution. Be mindful of any shims that are found between the brake backing plate and the axle housing. These are normally found on the right end of the axle housing. These shims are used to set the end play in the axle bearings. If you are replacing the bearings, it is very important to follow the procedure to set the end play with shims.This procedure is detailed in the Shop Manual.

Thank you for your reply.

I bought the parts as told but the seals i got didn't match (or my mechanic isn't as good as i thought he might be).

The seals i get seemed too small on their outside circonference.

Is stud int'l #533161 corresponding to #1002-29 part on the original studebaker references ?

Are those seals available elsewhere?

Pierre