Plug Wire Set for 83 Avanti

MikeValent

I've replaced the PO's miserably done headers with 68 Vette exhaust manifolds (they look just like the one shown in the engine and chassis photo on page 45 of John Hull's "Avanti - The Complete Story". Can anybody tell me what kind of an ignition wire set I need to buy? I looked at a set for an 83 Camaro, and that won't work.

The garbage wires now in there are so bad that last night the steering bellcrank (Pitman arm?) hung on the wire to #7 when I made a left turn. Popped the connector off the plug, broke away from the distributor connector, dropped away and got hung on the power steering hoses where I found it this mroning.

The exhaust manifolds you installed are called "Ram's Horn" after their appearance. They're also considered about the best design cast iron exhaust manifolds one can have for performance. You did well installing a set.

Since you have am '83 Avanti, you must have an HEI distributor unless it's been changed. You'll really need a set of plug wires for an HEI equipped small block Chevy. If you don't have an HEI distributor anymore, you'll need a set of wires compatible with whatever that distributor uses. I know that sounds simplistic, but different make distributors sometimes use different or even proprietary connectors on the cap terminals.

You can always buy a set of universal plug wires and cut them to length to avoid them interfering with any engine parts. To do a good job of that buying a plug wire crimper helps a lot, though they run about $40. There's also different types of wire looms available that run the wires away from everything. Check out a Summit Racing or Jegs catalog or their websites and you can see what's available in wire sets and looms.

Yeah, they're Rams Horns manifolds though not as tall as some I've seen. And it's an HEI distributor, albeit the Canadian version. I'm assuming that a PO changed that from the US style computer controlled GM HEI when he re4placed the computer controlled Q-Jet with the current Holley mounted in a Paxton air box.

I'm still hoping to avoid having to fabricate a plug wire set. Question: what year did Chevy go to that distributor? If I know that, then it shouldn't be a big deal to find a set that'll work well.

78 Corvette wires work well. The Corvettes seems to have used the same exhaust manifolds from 1968 to at least 1978 and of course had the HEI distributor in 1978.

Mike

My 83 is far from stock but it has the 63-65 vette 2 1/2" Ram Horn manifolds and an HEI distributor. That setup from GM generally used an under manifold set of plug wires that ran from the distributor, behind the heads and down along the block/frame and up to the plugs. That avoids the heat issues of laying on the manifolds.

Mine has a set of MSD Street-fire 8MM wires. I think they are #5564. A couple were a little long but not bad. They are available from all the usual suspects for about $35.

I'd like to be sure of the # but I discarded the box. 5564 are under-manifold SBC wires and look correct with all 90 Deg connectors.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Edited by BobS