Avanti specifications

jtinker

I'm interested in purchasing an Avanti. Is there any source of information relating to such items as the evolution of engine cu. in. and HP, changes in the vehicle from year to year, rear end ratios, etc. I purchased John Hall's book "Avanti The Complete Story" thinking it would provide such info but was disappointed to find only one table that related to serial numbers and only general information relating to the cars evolution. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-John

I don't think there's any one source for all the information you want. There are some compilations of various statistics, but even they can be of some inaccuracies, due to the nature of Studebaker and Avanti Motors. Avanti Motors, due to their being a small company building cars for individual order, did many things not standard or on a standard option list. Even then, Avanti Motors changed their way of building cars as market events changed, government regulations, etc. Not all were recorded in a sequential manner. Some of the stats we have were compiled by individuals going over build records or by reports from individual owners.

One of the best sources for Avanti history is the AOAI publication "Avanti Magazine". I would suggest obtaining the entire series on CD and going through it...you'll learn a lot from that. Also feel free to ask here...many here are quite well versed in the history of the Avanti. Let us know exactly what things you feel are most important to what you want out of an Avanti. Various years have their own strong points as far as optional equipment availability, ease of service, parts availability, performance, market value, etc. Of course, much is subjective as some options and changes mean more to some than others. I have my own prejudices, likes and dislikes of some model years...just like everyone.

On the positive side, post-Studebaker Avanti's offer probably more customizing and personalization potential than most cars on the market...without the loss of value as many cars suffer if the changes are well done and tasteful. On the negative side, Avanti's don't have the resale value in the collector's market as many cars do. The Avanti is pretty much a niche car that the market pretty much neglects. That doesn't bother me as I love the car for its own sake, not because I want to flip it for a profit like many do with collector's cars.

There are certain things to be aware of when looking at an Avanti for potential purchase...some items are no big deal, but some are definite deal breakers. The big ones are the frame and hog troughs (torque boxes). If they have issues, they can be repaired, but be prepared for big dollars expended to correct them...or keep looking for another car.

Welcome to the world of the Avanti...one of the most fabulous and interesting cars ever designed. And again...feel free to ask questions. Your car is out there just waiting for you to find it.

JTinker

I have a book titled Avanti 1962-1990 by Brooklands Books. It has Road Tests, History and Specifications.

It may not be the best but the question you asked does not have a lot of recorded answers.

ISBN 1 85520 0651

Bob

JTinker

I have a book titled Avanti 1962-1990 by Brooklands Books. It has Road Tests, History and Specifications.

It may not be the best but the question you asked does not have a lot of recorded answers.

ISBN 1 85520 0651

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm currently trying to locate the book. Does it give specifications of each year vehicle or just give road handling etc. data? Thanks again-John

John- It's a mixed bag but it's specifications are generally part of the articles. There is a ton of data on the 63-64 models and then generally the specs as changes were made to the lineup.

It probably covers what you may want to know and I just don't know of a better source.

The answer to your question is yes, it has a lot of specifications. like weight, HP, options etc.

Bob

Edited by BobS

John- It's a mixed bag but it's specifications are generally part of the articles. There is a ton of data on the 63-64 models and then generally the specs as changes were made to the lineup.

It probably covers what you may want to know and I just don't know of a better source. 

The answer to your question is yes, it has a lot of specifications. like weight, HP, options etc.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks again. Sounds like a book that will be a great help to me. I'll be picking one up.