Custom Steering Wheel on Avanti II

RQ-B1899

I would like to replace the "rubbery feel" steering wheel on my 1972 Avanti II with some sort of custom unit like Grant or LeCarra.

Has anyone done this? What kind of column adapter kit did you use? I like the look of my stock steering wheel but the grain is

pretty much smoothed out on most of it.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!!

Terry Stinehelfer

Does your car have the Studebaker steering wheel and column or the later column with the ignition switch on the column itself rather than the dash? Either way you should have little problem. If the Studebaker steering wheel and column, you can go to the Grant website and check their application guide for the appropriate adapter kit for whichever steering wheel you chose. If you have the later steering column, you need to determine what make it is. Some were American Motors and some were Chrysler. Maybe some were GM but I don't know for sure. You can generally tell by the keys...whether they're AMC or Chrysler keys. Regardless, the Grant application guide should tell you what steering wheels and installation kit will work.

In my '70 which has the Studebaker steering column, I installed a Grant steering wheel and kit...no problems at all. The steering wheel I bought locally at Advance Auto and the kit I got through Summit Racing. There are some other brand steering wheels out there that use Grant installation kits. Check on some websites to find out which.