Heater Problems

bobav78

Hi All,

There are heater problems with my 1978 Avanti II, RQB 2679. When the heater temperature control lever is pushed on and the car is warmed up, coolant starts to pour into the passenger compartment. And, I mean pour - not drip. I am suspecting either a bad heater core or water valve or hose problem. My question is this: on the 1978s, is the heating and venitlating system, heater core, etc. the same as on the 1963-64 Studebaker Avantis? That is, in looking at the 1963-64 Avanti Workshop Manual, will that be of any help as my mechanic tackles this problem? (He is pretty good at these kinds of cars and has a restoration shop - but just wondering what we are in for. It doesn't look like an easy job.) Anybody know if Myers or Nostalgic have these kinds of parts? Also, anybody have any advice on the best thing to use to get that coolant stain out of the carpet?

Any info, guidance or advice will be appreciated. Thanks much.

Bobav78

Edited by bobav78

If it's pouring out as you describe, it may be no more than the hose connection which comes through the firewall to the heater control valve or between the control valve and the heater core. It can still be the control valve or the heater core, but I would think they would be dripping previously rather than a full flow. You need to look under the dash on that side and see exactly what's happening. It may be obvious or you might have to put pressure in the system to force the leak.

If it needs parts, all the parts should be the same from '63 through about '85. The '63-'64 shop manual may be somewhat different on dealing with Altman Avanti's but should still be a huge help to anyone working on it. If your heater core is the culprit, you may be able to have it repaired by a competent radiator shop. There may be some aftermarket heater control valves that will work...someone else may have that information. For the most part...yes, Jon Myers or Nostalgic should have most parts you might need.

For the stain in your carpet, you have to remove the carpeting as any padding underneath will be saturated and needs to dry. If left it will get moldy and you'll end up replacing it anyway. You might check with an auto upholstery shop for a recommendation for stain removal. I don't know if any household brand carpet cleaner will work on glycol.

My guess would be a hose, clamp or heater valve before the core itself. Core's usually seep or drip but it's rare that they gush. If it is a radiator shop can recore the core. I do think the Stude and the Avanti II are the same though. At least I hope so, I just bought one on ebay out of a II as a spare for my '64.:)

Hi All,

There are heater problems with my 1978 Avanti II, RQB 2679. When the heater temperature control lever is pushed on and the car is warmed up, coolant starts to pour into the passenger compartment. And, I mean pour - not drip. I am suspecting either a bad heater core or water valve or hose problem. My question is this: on the 1978s, is the heating and venitlating system, heater core, etc. the same as on the 1963-64 Studebaker Avantis? That is, in looking at the 1963-64 Avanti Workshop Manual, will that be of any help as my mechanic tackles this problem? (He is pretty good at these kinds of cars and has a restoration shop - but just wondering what we are in for. It doesn't look like an easy job.) Anybody know if Myers or Nostalgic have these kinds of parts? Also, anybody have any advice on the best thing to use to get that coolant stain out of the carpet?

Any info, guidance or advice will be appreciated. Thanks much.

Bobav78

Thanks Gunslinger and ernier,

That's helpful info and I appreciate it.

bobav78

I concur with the leakage diagnosis. As far as carpet cleaning goes, antifreeze (glycol-based as well as others) is 100% soluble in water, so once the carpet is removed you can wash it with mild detergent and water, and rinse it with a garden hose. Most carpets are acrylic or polypropylene and should not shrink. If your carpet is wool or some other exotic material, you might consider dry cleaning.

I concur with the leakage diagnosis. As far as carpet cleaning goes, antifreeze (glycol-based as well as others) is 100% soluble in water, so once the carpet is removed you can wash it with mild detergent and water, and rinse it with a garden hose. Most carpets are acrylic or polypropylene and should not shrink. If your carpet is wool or some other exotic material, you might consider dry cleaning.

Thanks Ray K and all,

I had forgotten about the glycol being water soluble - that will make life easier and the carpet is an acrylic or something similar. Now, all we need is some spring weather so that I can get back at it - supposed to be near zero here in northern Ohio and we got about 10 inches of white stuff today - not good Avanti touring weather.

bobav78