Fuel Sending Unit

jeffdgale

The fuel gauge on my 74 avanti seems to get stuck around 1/4 tank. It will raise above 1/4 when it has more gas in the tank. I just pulled the sending unit and the gauge works great across the entire range when I manually move the arm up and down. The cork float looks to be in OK condition and does not seem "water logged". However, I intend to replace the float as that seems to be the only thing I can think of. Before I do this I like to get some input from of those of you with some experience in this area. 1) should I replace the cork with cork or something else 2) where's the best place to get replacement parts and what are the part numbers (would love to get at NAPA or some other parts house) 3) should I look at anything else as a cause

Thanks,

JG

Having had 3 A IIs over the past 20 years I would like to say that I've never had an accurate gas gauge.

My current '81 won't go under 1/4, no matter what. It reads 3/4 when full, so I gas up at 1/2. Sometimes, at 1/2, as today, it took 4 gallons. Other times, at same, it takes over 10 gallons.

You'd think, with all the electronical gismos available, someone would market an accurate, adjustable, gas float.

Paul G.

Thanks Paul. Have you ever done any work on them or placed with any after market parts. My research shows that Stewart Warner makes an float style replacement and under their performance parts catagory they make a unit that has no movable parts call the Intellisensor. Anybody have any experience with these or others.

Auto Meter makes an adjustable sending unit. The Avanti would use the number 3262 sending unit which is 240 ohm/33 ohm. If you wanted to do it without measuring and adjusting, etc., Jon Myers sells a new reproduction sending unit that fits and works beautifully. It's a bit more expensive than the Auto Meter universal sender, but takes much less time.

I installed the Myer's unit and it seems to be quite accurate.