Hog Trough - one-piece vs three-piece; pros & cons

BillyBob

I have several questions regarding hog trough replacement; they are,

1) excluding the benefit of stainless "lasting a lifetime", what are the pros & cons of one-piece vs three-piece troughs?

2) are three-piece troughs welded, screwed, or riveted together once in-place?

3) how "exposed" are the rivets that secure the replacement troughs to the rocker panels?

4) I read an early description of someone replacing hog troughs and he talked about needing 40 hours to replace the troughs - how realistic is this time?

Happy Holiday weekend, Bill!

I have several questions regarding hog trough replacement; they are,

1) excluding the benefit of stainless "lasting a lifetime", what are the pros & cons of one-piece vs three-piece troughs?

The three piece are probably easier to slip under the car, as well as ship. Have not used the single piece ones.

2) are three-piece troughs welded, screwed, or riveted together once in-place?

Yes, to all three.

The long pieces are riveted together, the front piece is bolted to the rear and then welded together if you wish.

3) how "exposed" are the rivets that secure the replacement troughs to the rocker panels?

You may wish to caulk the lower rocker to the trough lip, rather than rivet. If you rivet through, you may wish to do some bodywork.

4) I read an early description of someone replacing hog troughs and he talked about needing 40 hours to replace the troughs - how realistic is this time?

It may have been realistic for him. For us, it took a good bit longer, so as not to make a mistake and damage anything.

We did an iniitial design of a replacement strengthening assembly instead of the hog troughs and gave to Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. The hog trough removal would be the same time. The installation would be probably less than 1/3 the time as hog troughs. Should be less expensive as the hog troughs, if Phil decides to develop them. By the way, I've got nothing involved in this; gave the drawing to Phil as a courtesy for all his help.

Very nice article, very nice car. Maybe we could swap? Thanks for replying/sending - honest! Getting a little more educated on "hoggs"- appears as if Classic Enterprises' current design is 5-piece, with 2 of the pieces attached to other parts of the kit, making it a 3-piece kit (per side). Bill