Rear vertical bumper guard

Kellerbear

My '78 Avanti II has black plastic vertical bumper guards and I think the car looks better with chrome, as on older models. I bought chrome guards but find they won't fit due to the two square bumper guards at the top. Now I'm thinking about painting the black plastic silver (not ideal). Anyone else tried to switch from black to chrome verticals? Thanks. Tim

Instead of painting them silver, try having the plastic chromed...it's really not chrome plated but some kind of plating that simulates chrome....I believe it's called vacuum metallizing. There's a number of companies that do that for car restorations but the only one I can remember the name of is Mr. G. They have a website at <http://www.mrgusa.com/>. Contact them and ask if what you want is a workable solution to your problem. It's probably the same process exterior plastic emblems go through that are chromed.

I would do a web search for other companies as well.

When the chrome vertical rear bumper pieces were used, the "square" plastic or rubber pieces were not used on the rear bumper. That may be your problem.

Yes, that's what is causing it not to fit. Thanks!

When the chrome vertical rear bumper pieces were used, the "square" plastic or rubber pieces were not used on the rear bumper. That may be your problem.

Thanks, hadn't thought of that!

Instead of painting them silver, try having the plastic chromed...it's really not chrome plated but some kind of plating that simulates chrome....I believe it's called vacuum metallizing. There's a number of companies that do that for car restorations but the only one I can remember the name of is Mr. G. They have a website at <http://www.mrgusa.com/>. Contact them and ask if what you want is a workable solution to your problem. It's probably the same process exterior plastic emblems go through that are chromed.

I would do a web search for other companies as well.

• 1 month later...

At the Orange County La Palma Studebaker show, the Avanti next to mine was a restored 1978 sans the rear bumper "bumpers". The bumper was removed and the plating shop filled in the bolt hole and replated the bumper. The appearance was greatly enhanced without the, in my perception, meaningless rubber uprights.

Wendell

Tim,

I have a '77 and mounted the chrome vertical bumper bars this way. I removed the rubber baby buggy bumpers and mounted the chrome vertical bars temporarily. Noting that the rubber bumpers were interferring with the vertical bars only about an inch or two at the bottom, I marked a line and proceeded to cut off that 2 inch section from the bottom of the rubber bumpers. Admitedly, this solution does permanently modify those rubber thingies, but as I want to eventually remove them anyway I didn't care. My rear bumper is in great shape so having the holes filled in and rechromed is a ways off.

Just wanted to give you another option. BTW - cutting the rubber bumpers with a hack saw was not that difficult and it's nearly impossible to tell when they are remounted on the car.

I wanted to remove my black vertical pcs from my '81 and plug the holes with bumper bolts which are bent into a V in the center.

The problem is that I've never seen a bumper bolt bent into a V.

Short of the sledge hammer thing, does anyone know if bumper bolts are made with bends in them?

Tim,

I have a '77 and mounted the chrome vertical bumper bars this way. I removed the rubber baby buggy bumpers and mounted the chrome vertical bars temporarily. Noting that the rubber bumpers were interferring with the vertical bars only about an inch or two at the bottom, I marked a line and proceeded to cut off that 2 inch section from the bottom of the rubber bumpers. Admitedly, this solution does permanently modify those rubber thingies, but as I want to eventually remove them anyway I didn't care. My rear bumper is in great shape so having the holes filled in and rechromed is a ways off.

Just wanted to give you another option. BTW - cutting the rubber bumpers with a hack saw was not that difficult and it's nearly impossible to tell when they are remounted on the car.

What is under the rubber bumper things -- sounds like they are bolted to the bumper?

The rubber is bonded to a metal backing plate that has a bolt extending through the bumper bar. Removing the nut behind the bumper allows you to withdraw the rubber thing easily. To cut it off so that it does not interfere with the chrome extensions means cutting through the rubber and the backing plate (fairly thin metal, so wasn't hard).

• 2 months later...
The rubber is bonded to a metal backing plate that has a bolt extending through the bumper bar. Removing the nut behind the bumper allows you to withdraw the rubber thing easily. To cut it off so that it does not interfere with the chrome extensions means cutting through the rubber and the backing plate (fairly thin metal, so wasn't hard).

Thanks, this is helpful.