Headers / exhaust pipe size

irv83

On my '70 I have Sanderson headers installed. They're the block hugger design and are ceramic coated. From what I've seen, Sanderson is about as good as it gets for headers...they have the thickest flanges I've ever seen on a header which goes a long way to keeping from warping or the bolts from backing out and creating leaks. In any case, most any brand block hugger design headers should work.

For the rest of the exhaust system I had a 2 1/2" pipe installed all the way back with Magnaflow mufflers. I'm not sure, but I think the speed shop that fabricated the system may have had to pinch the pipes slightly where they pass through the frame openings to keep them from rattling.

The only other issue I can think of was the shop had to fabricate a different backup light and neutral safety switch arrangement as the stock setup was too close to the exhaust pipe on that side, but this may have been more due to having a 700R4 installed and it's somewhat larger size compared to the original Borg Warner Power Shift than the larger exhaust pipes by themselves.

Any good custom shop or exhaust shop equipped with a pipe bender should be able to handle a new exhaust system for you.

On my '70 I have Sanderson headers installed. They're the block hugger design and are ceramic coated. From what I've seen, Sanderson is about as good as it gets for headers...they have the thickest flanges I've ever seen on a header which goes a long way to keeping from warping or the bolts from backing out and creating leaks. In any case, most any brand block hugger design headers should work.

For the rest of the exhaust system I had a 2 1/2" pipe installed all the way back with Magnaflow mufflers. I'm not sure, but I think the speed shop that fabricated the system may have had to pinch the pipes slightly where they pass through the frame openings to keep them from rattling.

The only other issue I can think of was the shop had to fabricate a different backup light and neutral safety switch arrangement as the stock setup was too close to the exhaust pipe on that side, but this may have been more due to having a 700R4 installed and it's somewhat larger size compared to the original Borg Warner Power Shift than the larger exhaust pipes by themselves.

Any good custom shop or exhaust shop equipped with a pipe bender should be able to handle a new exhaust system for you.

MANY THANKS, Gunslinger ! I have all of the info on the Sanderson headers, just wanted to see if anything more efficient (tuned) would fit. I'll try 1-800-Avanti 1 for the pipes. Jegs or Summit has a length of flexible pipe that may be good for going through the frame.

FYI

Just finished a lot of research on shocks. (I have the time.... I'm a retired 70 yo, former Marine, Mfg. Engr., SCCA racer, sailboat racer (from 8' - 34'), and a quadraplegic for the last 9 years. My '82 Avanti and '04 Toyota Sienna have hand controls.

Talked to a very knowledgeable lady at Bilstein. Bottomline : the front shocks for an '80 Z28 have slightly more travel than the stock Avanti shocks, (part no. F4-B46-1104-HO), and '70 - '80 Camero rear shocks, (part no. F4-B46-0156-HO).

The best part is the price: $305.20 shipped, (for 4) from "Doc" at "The Tire Rack", (888-541-1777. I was going to get Konis', until I spoke to Ken Lelacher from Milford, Ct. ('63 coupe) who mentioned that Konis' had a habit of breaking mounts when set on "firm". Also, when he worked on maintenance of a fleet of trucks, they tested shocks. Bilstein were the only ones that lasted.

Oil

Two different tests that I've found, one by a knowledgeable

bike enthusiast, claimed that Shell Rotella (100 percent synthetic) was one of the beter oils to use.

Filters

Ferrari has used Baldwin filters for years. (that big round orange thing on their engines !)

Sway bars (or: Anti-sway bars)

"Just suspensions" (800-872-1548) claims they may be able to match Avanti bar specs to existing bars for $100 each,with bushings. I'll let you know how I make out.

MANY THANKS, Gunslinger ! I have all of the info on the Sanderson headers, just wanted to see if anything more efficient (tuned) would fit. I'll try 1-800-Avanti 1 for the pipes. Jegs or Summit has a length of flexible pipe that may be good for going through the frame.

FYI

Just finished a lot of research on shocks. (I have the time.... I'm a retired 70 yo, former Marine, Mfg. Engr., SCCA racer, sailboat racer (from 8' - 34'), and a quadraplegic for the last 9 years. My '82 Avanti and '04 Toyota Sienna have hand controls.

Talked to a very knowledgeable lady at Bilstein. Bottomline : the front shocks for an '80 Z28 have slightly more travel than the stock Avanti shocks, (part no. F4-B46-1104-HO), and '70 - '80 Camero rear shocks, (part no. F4-B46-0156-HO).

The best part is the price: $305.20 shipped, (for 4) from "Doc" at "The Tire Rack", (888-541-1777. I was going to get Konis', until I spoke to Ken Lelacher from Milford, Ct. ('63 coupe) who mentioned that Konis' had a habit of breaking mounts when set on "firm". Also, when he worked on maintenance of a fleet of trucks, they tested shocks. Bilstein were the only ones that lasted.

Oil

Two different tests that I've found, one by a knowledgeable

bike enthusiast, claimed that Shell Rotella (100 percent synthetic) was one of the beter oils to use.

Filters

Ferrari has used Baldwin filters for years. (that big round orange thing on their engines !)

Sway bars (or: Anti-sway bars)

"Just suspensions" (800-872-1548) claims they may be able to match Avanti bar specs to existing bars for $100 each,with bushings. I'll let you know how I make out.

PS

I have a 700R4, too, so I'll anticipate the same problems.

IRV83 -

I went thru this same thing back in May - the Sandersons are an excellent suggestion.

However, CORVETTE-PARAGON.COM offers ramhorn headers for the fuel injected small block - they just happen to be 2 1/2 inch. And work great ! ! ! !

Depending on what a/c bracket your vehicle has, you may or may not have to remove a small bracket on the passenger side header.

I ran 2 1/2 inch all the way back thru a set of Flowmasters [after discovering the 'chambered' pipes (w/o mufflers)I originally tried] were entirely TOO loud.

And to dress up the rear a little, I used 2 shortened aluminum rods from a For 460, as rear exhaust hangers, which after polishing, and clear powder coating, match the finish of the stainless exhaust pipe.

Good Luck

Thomas