time for a front-end rebuild?

James T

As detailed in an earlier post, I've installed the Turner brake upgrade kit on my '77. The kit came with new wheel bearings, rotors, etc. that all installed per instructions. The brakes are great, but no matter how much I tighten down the wheel bearings (to a reasonable point where the wheel still turns freely), I am getting a wobble when I mount the wheels. Note that the wobble is slight and only at the top and bottom of the mounted wheel (vertical orientation). There is no wobble when I grasp the tire on the right and left sides and shake it (horizontal orientation).

So, I am thinking the king pin bushings and/or other front end parts must be worn beyond acceptable tolerances. I have read that this rather archaic design is supposed to be very robust, and my car has only 58K miles on it, but something in the front end must be the cause of this wobble.

Any experiences with front-end rebuilds (parts, vendors, lessons learned) would be most welcome. Any other suggestions as to what might cure the wobblies equally welcome.

The king-pin suspension may be old school and is very robust, but like many old design suspensions, it's very maintenance and lubrication dependent. Any Studebaker or Stude framed Avanti needs its suspension lubricated very regularly. If not, excessive wear is the result. There are numerous grease fittings to hit...not like current designs with sealed joints.

If, in fact, your suspension needs rebuilding, parts are easily obtainable. You can buy either kits to rebuild your parts yourself, or get complete rebuilt parts to simply install and send your old parts back for cores, thus keeping them "in the food chain" for eventual use by other Stude and Avanti owners. My understanding is rebuilding your king pins yourself is not difficult, but a dirty and greasy job, so it's up to you.

Parts and complete suspension kits are available. Try Jon Myers Studebaker, Studebaker International or Dan and Betty Booth at Nostalgic Motors. All are excellent to deal with and can give you great advice.

I had read that the Avanti front end should be lubricated every 1,000 miles (gulp!). I did a complete lube job when I purchased the car last year and haven't driven it more than 500 miles since. Not sure when it had been last done, but getting grease to come out of the top of the kingpins required some, uh, tweaking with a BFH.

I hate any unwanted motion in the steering, so my inclination is to go ahead with the rebuild this winter while the car is hibernating in the garage. I have checked with the usual Avanti/Stude vendors as well as Kantor. As you say, Gunslinger, the folks are all great to deal with and there are various parts kits available, from a kingpin rebush only all the way to a complete front end.

I'll post some updates once I get into this.