Fiberglass Buckle/Bubble

bbreeding

I just noticed that the hood and area just rear of the hood on my "83 Avanti II is showing signs of buckling/bubbling(?)! At first Ithought it was just the old re-paint job showing its age...but no...it's in the fiberglass itself. I looked underneath and couldn't see anything so it appears to be only on the surface side. But now I am really concerned. The vehicle resides in a carport so it is somewhat protected but it experiences the full impact of both heat and cold here on the shoreline of Connecticut. It is also driven periodically but never great distances. I do know that the engine runs hot as my mechanic has shown me some signs of heat in the engine compartment but he said there was really nothing that could be done to correct that. And he said not to be concerned. But now I am. Has anyone experienced that type of issue before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I can't help directly, I haven't experienced your symptoms, but here's a few thoughts...

1. How do you know "it's in the fiberglass itself" and not a delayed result of incomplete surface prep?

(it still could be the old paint job showing the delayed results of less-than-perfect surface preparation)

2. Do you have an engine temp gauge, and if so, how hot IS the engine running? What ARE those signs of heat?

3. Do you have an insulation blanket on the underside of the hood?

4. Is the weatherstrip in place/intact across the underside of the rear of the hood?

5. Any oil being slung onto the underside of the fiberglass by the engine can eventually leach through.

6. An electric fan with a temp sensor or a delay switch could probably be rigged to move air through/out of

the engine compartment for a few minutes after the engine is switched off, which is when engine heat

reaches its zenith.

7. I recall that the factory was having paint issues, although I think it was in 84 rather than 83; seems to me

it turned out that oil was getting into the painting process via a leak in the compressed air system, but I

don't remember details; the factory repainted a bunch of cars on warranty, but without extreme measures

to get all traces of oil out of the fiberglass, the paint problem may recur sooner or later.

Edited by WayneC

Thanks Wayne....I need to consider all of these comments/factors very carefully!

I can't help directly, I haven't experienced your symptoms, but here's a few thoughts...

1. How do you know "it's in the fiberglass itself" and not a delayed result of incomplete surface prep?

(it still could be the old paint job showing the delayed results of less-than-perfect surface preparation)

2. Do you have an engine temp gauge, and if so, how hot IS the engine running? What ARE those signs of heat?

3. Do you have an insulation blanket on the underside of the hood?

4. Is the weatherstrip in place/intact across the underside of the rear of the hood?

5. Any oil being slung onto the underside of the fiberglass by the engine can eventually leach through.

6. An electric fan with a temp sensor or a delay switch could probably be rigged to move air through/out of

the engine compartment for a few minutes after the engine is switched off, which is when engine heat

reaches its zenith.

7. I recall that the factory was having paint issues, although I think it was in 84 rather than 83; seems to me

it turned out that oil was getting into the painting process via a leak in the compressed air system, but I

don't remember details; the factory repainted a bunch of cars on warranty, but without extreme measures

to get all traces of oil out of the fiberglass, the paint problem may recur sooner or later.

Another idea that occurs to me, falls into 'WayneC's "service prep. theory.

Has your car been repainted? If so, did they repaint using 'GELCOAT'?

The reason I mention this, is because my car was repainted in the late 80's with gelcoat [some 'Einstein' got the idea that since gelcoat worked so well on boats, why not use it on cars - but without the required surface preperation - and it was popular for a short while] - and according to the previous owner, the paint started 'bubbling' about 10 years later. I was able to grind out the bad areas, and repaint over the old gelcoat without having to go all the way to the fiberglass on the whole car.

BUT - the situation is not hopeless. If the paint can be matched, grind out the offending area [to the fiberglass] - smooth out using a filler with fiberglass mixed into it [this is a MUST - or the bubbles will come back], and touch up like you would any other vehicle.

Thomas