Floor jack placement

tmorefield

I am going to replace the front shocks on my 1970 Avanti and I would like to find out the best placement of a floor jack in order to put the car on jack stands. Its been years since I have done this so please excuse my dumb questions.

Thanks, Tony

Look behind the front tire and you can see a good place under the frame rails to locate the jack. Some Avanti's have steel lift plates under there...at least the '63 I used to own did (my '70 doesn't). Make sure you leave space enough for jack stands to support the front end.

Look behind the front tire and you can see a good place under the frame rails to locate the jack. Some Avanti's have steel lift plates under there...at least the '63 I used to own did (my '70 doesn't). Make sure you leave space enough for jack stands to support the front end.

AvantiDualExhaust4.jpg

I use the frame rails too. Placing a block of wood between the jack and frame helps prevent marring the raiils. Might have been a good idea to follow my own advice on the jack stand in the pic above. :rolleyes:

Joe M in WV

I happened to remember that if you look under the spare tire cover, there should be a tire changing instruction label glued or stapled. It tells you the appropriate jack locations.

Thanks guys for the information. The photo is very helpful, thank you. I will check under the spare tire cover. I lifted it up to look for a lug wrench but didn't inspect the cover, at all.

Thanks again.

Tony

You shouldn't find a lug wrench in the spare tire well...it's kept to the left of the spare tire well under the carpet in a spot molded in the fiberglass for it. Just lift up the carpet on the left side of the trunk floor and you should see it...if it's still there. The molded area for it should be quite apparent.

You shouldn't find a lug wrench in the spare tire well...it's kept to the left of the spare tire well under the carpet in a spot molded in the fiberglass for it. Just lift up the carpet on the left side of the trunk floor and you should see it...if it's still there. The molded area for it should be quite apparent.

Sure enough, the lug wrench was right where you said it would be; as was the jacking instrucitons. I have only had the car a few months. Still trying to get myself familiar with everything. Enjoying every second too!

Thanks for the information and the input.

Tony

I lift both front wheels off the floor simultaneously by placing a hydraulic floor jack under the front cross-member (K-frame), using a 2x3 block between the jack & frame. Be sure to avoid the bolt that comes through (I think it may be for the steering arm attachment). By jacking from the front, you have more room and options for placing the jack stands under the frame. Don't forget to set the hand brake and chock the rear wheels.

I lift both front wheels off the floor simultaneously by placing a hydraulic floor jack under the front cross-member (K-frame), using a 2x3 block between the jack & frame. Be sure to avoid the bolt that comes through (I think it may be for the steering arm attachment). By jacking from the front, you have more room and options for placing the jack stands under the frame. Don't forget to set the hand brake and chock the rear wheels.

Ray

That's what I was thinking about doing. I was going to place a 2x4 between the jack and the Bell Crank housing ( I think thats what its called); then place my stands along the frame near the font. Will the 2x4 be enough to protect the center pin?

Thanks everyone for the input.

Tony

Ray

That's what I was thinking about doing. I was going to place a 2x4 between the jack and the Bell Crank housing ( I think thats what its called); then place my stands along the frame near the font. Will the 2x4 be enough to protect the center pin?

Thanks everyone for the input.

Tony

Well, I ended up placing the jack just in front of the bell crank housing and lifted the car enough to reach the top bolts on the shock from above the tires. I placed the jack stands at the front of the frame near the radiator. Everything went off without a hitch.

Thanks again for the input.