Avanti radio

J Boyle

In a recent magazine...(I forget whether it was Avanti or Turning Wheels) one of the technical experts says the correct 63-64 Avanti radio has "Avanti" script on it and another unique feature is the red lighting.

My car (never been apart to the best of my knowledge) has the red lights, but just "Studebaker" on it.

Is it correct?

The '63 I used to own had the red lighting and said "Studebaker" on it. I can't think of ever seeing an original radio saying "Avanti" on it. There is an aftermarket radio/cassette player that says "Avanti" but that's all I'm aware of.

In a recent magazine...(I forget whether it was Avanti or Turning Wheels) one of the technical experts says the correct 63-64 Avanti radio has "Avanti" script on it and another unique feature is the red lighting.

My car (never been apart to the best of my knowledge) has the red lights, but just "Studebaker" on it.

Is it correct?

If you want a "real" Avanti AM/FM radio, send me e-mail. I know of where one is sitting on a bench. (No I do not have it.)

NO PMs, e-mail only.

thanks!

Edited by tsterkel

The Avanti script they are referring to is not on the face of the radio. It is a paper tag on the top of the radio that told the production line this radio was for an Avanti and has a different mounting bracket than a regular Stude. :) All radios for 1963 and 1964 said STUDEBAKER on the chrome bezel, not AVANTI.

IMGP2275.jpg

Edited by abasile

• 2 weeks later...
The Avanti script they are referring to is not on the face of the radio. It is a paper tag on the top of the radio that told the production line this radio was for an Avanti and has a different mounting bracket than a regular Stude. :) All radios for 1963 and 1964 said STUDEBAKER on the chrome bezel, not AVANTI.

Thanks, that makes sense...and makes me feel better.

Edited by J Boyle

• 1 year later...

CAUTION:

If that "bench" is in the state of Tennessee, then the radio is likely mine, and STOLEN.

I will NOT broadcast the details, but I have the documentation to prove my case.

I will go after ANYONE who receives that radio, through civil and criminal court.

CAUTION:

If that "bench" is in the state of Tennessee, then the radio is likely mine, and STOLEN.

I will NOT broadcast the details, but I have the documentation to prove my case.

I will go after ANYONE who receives that radio, through civil and criminal court.

Don't worry...I didn't buy it. In the two years since I startedthe post, I've pretty much given up on a Studebaker AM-FM. I'll just have my AM rebuilt and put in an ipod adaptor. It's easier and much cheaper.