Steering Wheel 'Wood' Trim Sticker

67AvantiTom

Hello all, something I'm wondering about with my newly acquired Avanti - The steering wheel is the same one as the original Avanti's except for a cheesy looking wood grain sticker that is on the outside center of what would normally be the horn button on a 'normal' car.

On the original steering wheels, that area would say 'Studebaker Corporation'. Does anyone know if it still says Studebaker Corporation under that sticker on my steering wheel?

Thanks!

Tom

It will.. it was that way until Avanti Motors transitioned to an impact-absorbing steering column sometime during the 1971 model year. They used the Studebaker steering column and wheel until their exemption from the federal requirement expired.

If your car doesn't have a Studebaker Avanti steering wheel someone changed it to an aftermarket wheel sometime in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

I removed that faux wood sticker from RQA-271 a couple of years ago and yep, it says Studebaker. Looks like a showroom new Studebaker Avanti horn button now.

Thanks for the advise guys. I took a break the other night from my electrical escapades with the car and tried this. I too now have a hornbutton that looks showroom new and also says Studebaker. Double win!

Thx

Tom

How did you remove the sticker? Just peeled it up carefully, or did you use something to loosen it. I'm on the fence about the sticker on mine....

Mike S

RQA0330

How did you remove the sticker? Just peeled it up carefully, or did you use something to loosen it. I'm on the fence about the sticker on mine....

Mike S

RQA0330

Mike, it was very easy for me. I found a small corner that had already come loose and began to gently pull it up at it with a back and forth angle / motion. To my surprise the sticker did not rip or tear, it's pretty tough. It did leave a lot of glue residue on the button so I took a bit of brake fluid on a rag and dobbed a light amount on the glue, staying clear of the fine black painted ring, and let it set for about 30 mins. Came back with a clean rag and wiped most of the remaining glue off. Took some alcohol to the remaining but now soft glue and off it came.

Finished up with some Turtle Wax Chrome polish and it looks great!

Tom