Wheels and tires

IndyJimW

I've been trying out some different wheel and tire combinations because there isn't much available in good performance tires in 15". I've decided to install 16x7 wheels with a 4" back spacing and P225/60R16 tires. The test rim and tire works OK with about a 1/4" of clearance from the rear inner wheel well flap. The front rubbed the frame on the drivers side if you locked up the power steering all the way right. I can add some material to the right steering stop to prevent this if I want to, but I don't see myself locking the steering up all the way. The 16" tire diameter is almost the same as the orginal P205/65R15's so I shouldn"t have trouble with the speedometer. Tried to mount 17x8 rims but it wouldn't fit on the rear, too wide, will try to find some 17x7's next. <_<

I've been trying out some different wheel and tire combinations because there isn't much available in good performance tires in 15". I've decided to install 16x7 wheels with a 4" back spacing and P225/60R16 tires. The test rim and tire works OK with about a 1/4" of clearance from the rear inner wheel well flap. The front rubbed the frame on the drivers side if you locked up the power steering all the way right. I can add some material to the right steering stop to prevent this if I want to, but I don't see myself locking the steering up all the way. The 16" tire diameter is almost the same as the orginal P205/65R15's so I shouldn"t have trouble with the speedometer. Tried to mount 17x8 rims but it wouldn't fit on the rear, too wide, will try to find some 17x7's next. <_<

I currently have 17 x 8 and it looks like I could have got away with a 9 or 10 wide. What frame does the

Avanti you have ... have? It must not be the Lark type.

Tom

I currently have 17 x 8 and it looks like I could have got away with a 9 or 10 wide. What frame does the

Avanti you have ... have? It must not be the Lark type.

Tom

My '87 Avanti uses the frame and chassis from a '87 Molte Carlo SS. Most Chevy performance parts will fit, makes life a little easier. :)

My '87 Avanti uses the frame and chassis from a '87 Molte Carlo SS. Most Chevy performance parts will fit, makes life a little easier. :)

Yes .. that does make it easier to find stuff, but I find it strange how you have less rear

wheel room then the Lark-chassis cars. Weird.

Tom

Yes .. that does make it easier to find stuff, but I find it strange how you have less rear

wheel room then the Lark-chassis cars. Weird.

Tom

Its not the body that it is close to rubbing, they added a plastic inner fender shirt that comes down and attaches to the frame. The tire comes within 1/2" from it.

Its not the body that it is close to rubbing, they added a plastic inner fender shirt that comes down and attaches to the frame. The tire comes within 1/2" from it.

I wonder if you can remove the skirt ... OR modify it?

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I've been running the new wheels and tires for a few days now, 16x7 wheels and P225/60R16 Yokohama AVS db tires, I'm very happy with the handling and RIDE improvement. I wasn't expecting a better ride. I think with all the improvements to the chassis (Performance Suspension Stage IV kit, etc.) I just overloaded the capability of the 15" tires. So far no clearance issues, but I would like some additional backspacing in the wheels. I'll save that for when I get custom rims. :D

I've been running the new wheels and tires for a few days now, 16x7 wheels and P225/60R16 Yokohama AVS db tires, I'm very happy with the handling and RIDE improvement. I wasn't expecting a better ride.

The right setup yeilds nice results. I am running 17x9 stock Impala rims on my Impala with 275/40 tires,

and the ride is amazingly nice.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture with the new 16x7 wheels and P225/60R16 Yokohama AVS db tires-

135570521.jpg

Here is the problem that I have with clearance -

135567223.jpg

I have put about 500 miles on this setup with no rubbing problems yet. The larger tires really make a difference! :D

Jim

Here is a picture with the new 16x7 wheels and P225/60R16 Yokohama AVS db tires- I have put about 500 miles on this setup with no rubbing problems yet. The larger tires really make a difference!

I hear that ... wait til you get the 17's! Interesting problem with the inner fender "thingy". The 63 Avanti

doesnt ave anything like that. Are you having trouble with width AND height?? Height you can fix with a

lower profile, but width ... ick! It might be time to break out the cut off wheel and wave bye bye to that

funny looking inner fender. I am enjoying the 245/45's ... but the steering is TOO SLOW, and the front

sway bar is truely laughable. With the reminder of how these cars handle with the stock setup, its not a

surprise my big heavy Impala SS can run circles around this in the twistys! Driving the same road to work

on friday I do in the Impala, I was concerned on a few turns. The Stude likes to "plow" into the turns. Feels

very heavy and slow. The Camaro can outhandle the Impala, and the Avanti would be in the weeds!

I remember my Hawk handling better then this ........ maybe its because I didnt know any better.

Those rims give the car a look similar to the race car that was built in the 80's.

Tom

Problem is all width, if I go with a different offset it would make the tires stick to far out and I could have a problem with the fender lips. I used these rims to play around with sizes to see what will fit, they only cost about $45 each and don't look half bad.

I saw in the back off the latest AOAI magazine, the one with your Mustang brake acticle, a vendor offering heavy duty swaybar kits.

I saw in the back off the latest AOAI magazine, the one with your Mustang brake acticle, a vendor offering heavy duty swaybar kits.

I saw that .. and emailed him. Here is the thread from Racing Studebakers ... good and bad involved. :rolleyes:

http://racingstudebakers.com/stl-web/bulle...topic.php?t=366

Tom