Mobil 1 M1-203 Oil filter?

tsterkel

Crossed it over into Baldwin.

Avanti takes a B9 Baldwin.

M1-203 crosses over to a B39 in Baldwin which is a short version of a B9.

So YES it should work, same specs. just shorter.

Many thanks for the responsive answer.

Where did you find the cross reference table? I totally bombed when I tried to cross the Mobil 1 on the Mobil filter site.

I have the Mobil 1 M1-203 Oil filter for the Avanti/Studebaker 289. However, the Mobil Filter web does not provide a cross reference to confirm.  Anyone *know*?

thanks!

I have the Mobil 1 M1-203 Oil filter for the Avanti/Studebaker 289. However, the Mobil Filter web does not provide a cross reference to confirm.  Anyone *know*?

thanks!

Hello, tsterkel,

Following up on IndyJimW's earlier reply, I did some internet searching and came up with other possible replacements for your oil filter. They all appear to be the shorter type as the Baldwin B39 as IndyJimW mentioned; however, I was not able to confirm that for all that I have listed below because spec sheets were only available for the Purolator filter. The Purolator filter is about 5/8" shorter than the Baldwin (3-3/4" vs 4-11/32")

I cross-checked between the various manufacturers' sites including Baldwin, Purolator, Fram, and AC Delco using their own mfgr's cross-reference lists. I also made an effort to look up on their sites vehicle application tables for their filters (one of them forced me to search under '63 Studebaker Golden Hawk, which used the same 289 engine as the Avanti) to back check results. Another site that I used showed some more interesting results; I've pasted it here: http://www.trasko-usa.com/crossref.htm .

All seem to agree in one fashion or another on the following replacements: Baldwin B39, AC Delco PF24, Fram PH11, and Purolator L20033.

Best regards,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

thanks!

Hello, again, tsterkel,

I have done some more research and have come up with some more oil filters that can be used on both R1 and R2 engines; they are:

Long ones: Fram PH11, Purolator L30005, and Wix 51049.

Short ones: Fram PH25. AC Delco 24, Purolator L20033, and Wix 51258.

I am fairly confident that all of these part numbers are good ones and will work except for the Fram numbers. It may be that my earlier postink on 11/20 which showed the Fram filter, PH11, to be the correct application as the shorter type to be used may have been incorrect. The Purolator and Wix numbers are very solid ones I believe!

Best regards,

Paul D. Eikenbary.

Just a personal opinion from someone that has installed over a half million filters.

I will not use filters from Fram, Purolator, Group 7, Pennzoil and other no name filters. They may be good filters, BUT I don't like their construction, it allows too many ways for the filter to bypass internally.

I perfer Baldwin (my personal favorite), ProTec (made by WIX), WIX, AC/Delco, Champ and Motorcraft. WIX also makes NAPA, Car Quest and others.

Again this is my personal opinion based on cutting open a lot of filters.

many thanks to all!

The Mobil 1 works fine! It leftover from a Kubota Tractor and I could not return it. A nice piece of serendipity that it works for Studebaker 289s.

Hello, tsterkel,

Following up on IndyJimW's earlier reply, I did some internet searching and came up with other possible replacements for your oil filter.  They all appear to be the shorter type as the Baldwin B39 as IndyJimW mentioned; however, I was not able to confirm that for all that I have listed below because spec sheets were only available for the Purolator filter.  The Purolator filter is about 5/8" shorter than the Baldwin (3-3/4" vs 4-11/32")

I cross-checked between the various manufacturers' sites including Baldwin, Purolator, Fram, and AC Delco using their own mfgr's cross-reference lists.  I also made an effort to look up on their sites vehicle application tables for their filters (one of them forced me to search under '63 Studebaker Golden Hawk, which used the same 289 engine as the Avanti) to back check results.  Another site that I used showed some more interesting results; I've pasted it here:  http://www.trasko-usa.com/crossref.htm  .

All seem to agree in one fashion or another on the following replacements:  Baldwin B39, AC Delco PF24, Fram PH11, and Purolator L20033.

Best regards,

Paul

m