Tire Size

J Boyle

Any recommendations for tire size.

I want to use the original rims.

205?

215?

When I boughtthe car it had vintage 195 "Tiger Paws"

I will not be racing and I don't want low profile.

Basically I want a modern radial that looks right on the car (and that I can get with narrow whitewalls...)

P195/75R15 is pretty much a direct cross reference for the original 670-15 tire. P205 will work but would throw your speedometer/odometer off slightly, but they weren't known for accuracy anyway according to period auto magazine write-ups. The limiting factor on original rims is their comparatively narrow width. Also...go too big or wide with a car with sagging front coil springs and you'll have clearance problems...don't ask how I know that!

As far as narrow white stripe tire availability, you'll have to do some searching. There are manufacturers of that, but the selection seems to be limited in white stripe. Try TireRack.com and you can enter the size and it will show all brands available that they carry. Take your pick and see where you can get the best price.

I like Cooper tires...have had very good experiences with them but they're not the only quality tire out there. I checked and Cooper doesn't make a P195/75R15 but they do make a P205/75R15 in white stripe.

There's always Diamondback Tires and Coker Tires for specialty tires like what you want, but they'll generally run about half-again to twice the cost of Coopers, Goodyears, Michelin, BFG or Firestone or others. They're good tires, but you want whitewalls, not gold plated.

Years ago when I bought my first set of radials for my 64 I used the specs out of various tire catalogs and found that while the P195 was a cross reference it was also a shorter tire. The closest to the 6.70 in diameter was the p215/75R. A 70 series would be shorter and wider.

avnatiglamour006.jpg

They fill the wheel wells nicely and look "right" IMHO.

I will say that I don't think you should use the original rims with any radial. They are too narrow and pinch the tire. What happens is that the sidewall won't flex as it should and the contact patch isn't as wide as it should be. Once I replaced my original wheels with Ford rims the car rode nicer and handled better. My hubcaps finally stayed put also.

Any recommendations for tire size.

I want to use the original rims.

205?

215?

When I boughtthe car it had vintage 195 "Tiger Paws"

I will not be racing and I don't want low profile.

Basically I want a modern radial that looks right on the car (and that I can get with narrow whitewalls...)

Edited by ernier