Jump to content

silverstude

AOAI Forum Members
  • Content Count

    364
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by silverstude


  1. 15 X 7 inch rim is actually 8" wide / At 4 1/8" backspace you have a +3mm offset / The original Magnums on my 70 Avanti had a +15mm offset / Your tires will be pushed out a little bit, but be fine / That should also be fine with the Dunlop brakes.


  2. I mentioned on FB, that chat occasionally with Owen and emailed him when this came up.  He responded with a somewhat detailed response that I have yet to publish, as he asked that I withhold anything until he goes back to his sources and verifies what was said.  Nothing as of today however, so let's just wait and see.


  3. On 5/20/2020 at 1:50 PM, studegary said:

    Thank you for the information.  That is a nice Avanti!  To me, it just adds to the mystery of Avantis.  Perhaps, someone like John Hull can shed more light on it.  

    The scenario could have been ....   They were going to 350's anyway, as the 327's were going away.   Probably were using up the stocked 327's in normal production and made a 350 optional to the buyer at the time.   The one thing that was a real change then, was that they were changing the exhaust from 2.25" down to 2" and getting away from the 2.5" dump Corvette manifold.  Installing and securing a 2.25" exhaust through that frame must have been fairly time consuming and work intensive  (IMO). 

     

     

     

     


  4. 14 hours ago, studequest said:

    Thanks Silverstude

    It strikes me the FMX is the easier option

    What mods are required? Starter, torque converter, drive shaft?

    Thanks

    Keith

    Replace your Power Shift with a later (67-73) FMX?   I'd think you'd have to use your Stude input shaft to match the converter and that would be about it. The current starter is fine.  The dimensions are the same, so the Driveshaft should work ok.    I believe the FMX was also used to develop the Ford AOD, so you might be able to go further with this.


  5. I gutted my Avanti interior to renovate it.  If my memory is still accurate, removing the Evaporator went like this   / Side console panels (underdash) where the A/C air intake is / remove front air distribution grille, switches, thermocouple, etc. / Remove radio /   Remove A/C hoses from expansion valve / tie the hoses off to the right side  / Remove heater-blower assembly behind glovebox /  undo the obvious electrical connections then you can see enough to unbolt the large dual cage fan and evaporator. / It has to come out on the passenger side.


  6. My 70 was delivered with  metallic lime green paint and an interior using avocado vinyl with black, white and yellow houndstooth seat inserts....   YahHhhhh!    I bought it as a demo car and the interior  only lasted a few months before I had the seats reupholstered in olive green suede.  

     

     


  7. I was told that back pressure on the impeller is required over a certain RPM or else it will cavitate, however I've never heard of an airscrew cavitating, only a boat propeller.  So, the obvious issue would be the internals.   I wonder if this ancient warning applies to the newer bronze  parts and higher pressure spring packs...  


  8. Well, this was done back in the late 90's and I bought the column at a Carlisle Spring Swap Meet. The measurement was from notes I had taken with me.  That figure stayed in my head, so it's pretty accurate. The info I had at the time, I believe mentioned a Camaro and the Panel truck, but they were both the same measurement.  The difference being one had a floor shift and the other a column shift.  Likely I opted for what was available and modified it for my purposes.

    The lower shift linkage loop had to be removed and there was no issue, either mechanically or cosmetically.  The upper housing did not have any issues either as it was covered by a secondary fascade of my own design and incidentally mounted an 89' Avanti dashboard and a Momo steering wheel.

    The under dash bracket I made/used was more the GM style, as there were some issues with the bolts or spacing.  I believe there are 4 bolts on the Stude version and only 2 on the GM column.  Nothing too difficult to remedy.

    The spline may have fit the existing rag joint hardware, but I recall getting a new rag joint and I don't think it came with another metal (upper) fitting, so the probability was that it worked ok.  

     It has the column ignition switch which worked fine once the electrical circuits, including the turn signals  were cross referenced From Mitchells Manuals to connect to the Stude circuit.   Some of the switch circuits were not used.  However during this renovation, I also installed an HEI ignition and a T700R4 trans and shifter quadrant from a Camaro, using some of the circuitry to enable the Neutral safety switch and something else ( parking brake solenoid?).  (I have a manual that I made up, to explain all this)

     I recently (~ 2 years) replaced the started switch with another Delco unit and they're still available, but in 2 flavors of the push/pull rod and you have to be aware which.    I have a lot of pictures of all this but as you might expect, they would take some time to gather.

    Hope this was of use.

    BobJ

    I'll blow my horn a bit.... Here's one picture

     

     

     

     

    0381x12052017c.JPG


  9. I used a tilt column from a 69 GM panel truck w/column shift in my 70 Avanti.  Had to cut off the lower shift linkage loop and fabricate an under dash mounting bracket.   Length was exact and the spline fit the upper steering box rag joint connector. (~29.5" long . If I remember correctly)  

×
×
  • Create New...