Cool spring

Cbitz233

• 2 weeks later...

You don't say what year your Avanti is.... I'm going to assume pre-84

Not really sure what your issue is, but it may be worth checking whether your spring is correctly positioned. I'm no expert, but I was curious and read the shop manual. I don't remember exactly what the A-arm sockets look like, but I would think the sockets keep the springs securely positioned/centered without touching the vertical sides of the lip of the A-arms.

According to the shop manual, the lower coil of both front springs (they have the same part number) have a notch in them (to denote the lower coil) and they need to be positioned so that the end of the lower coil of the spring is toward the engine and the coil end is perfectly aligned with the centerline of the lower control arm. So its possible the springs were improperly installed.

Look for shiny wear spots that might indicate the spring is rubbing something, and lubricate (oil) the areas where the springs meet the A-arms.

You said your symptom is squeaks, so likely lube/oil will quiet it down.

Beyond that, inspect the bushings holding the pivot pins on the control arms (common issue of wear) to see that they are intact and not cracked badly from old age & wear. Common symptoms of bad bushings: clunking noises, a vibrating steering wheel, steering pulling to the left or right.

Bushings look like this:

control arm bushings.jpg