Window regulator crank shaft repair

Guy

My window crank was flopping around like the shaft was broken, I am disassembling the car for paint anyway, removed window and lift mechanism and discovered the start of the problem,  the lift assist spring had disengaged leaving the previous owner cranking so hard for long enough to wear a big Groove in the crankshaft. I first had to remove the shaft from regulator requiring drilling out the rivets to get shaft out. I filled in the groove with my mig welder than cleaned up the shaft on the lathe came out nice, next the bushing cap that holds the shaft in place had also worn in the process, I was able to swedge it back to tolerance with a piece of tobing and a hammer. Last step put it back together,didn't have proper rivets so I  spot welded it. Good as new.   Hope someone finds this helpful.  Guy 63R3477

VERY impressed with someone who can do the job you described….

Studebaker parts departments closed a long time ago, and sometimes we have to open our own ‘parts department’ !!

BRAVO!!!!

I don't understand why they designed the window crank shaft the way they did,it could have been simple, a shaft with gear on end but they use a little gear with a dog eared u shape thing that indexes the top of little gear then the shaft fits inside of that to drive gear lots of room for slop,  maybe that's the point.  Thanks for the pat on the back