Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits??

SCPO-PD

A 1983 should already have electronic ignition. It should be a 305 LG4 with computer controlled HEI. If you are getting rid of the computer controls, then a stock GM HEI distributor with vacuum advance is plenty good for the stock 305.

Ok, lets go over this really well.  Your 83 model came with the original GM CCC Computer control system that includes an HEI electronic ignition, various sensors, the CCC electric quadrajet carb and a computer mounted under the glove box from the factory.  The system controls the fuel mixture, ignition timing and the 200R4 automatic transmission lock up converter.  If you decide to remove the system and replace the carburator and distributor from a non CCC vehicle, your lockup converter function of the transmission will no longer work, unless you add a manual switch to engage it.  I have an 82 model which has the same system on it.  When purchased, the check engine light was on and the engine didn't run very well.  After rebuilding the CCC Quadrajet using parts from "quadrajet power store", replacing the O2 sensor and replacing all the vacuum lines, it now starts and runs very well.

engine left.JPG

7 hours ago, SteveG said:

A 1983 should already have electronic ignition. It should be a 305 LG4 with computer controlled HEI. If you are getting rid of the computer controls, then a stock GM HEI distributor with vacuum advance is plenty good for the stock 305.

Much Thanks!!!    I honestly assumed that the 83 was "Old School" points & condenser. I haven't jumped into the engine other than the a quick once over and top off of fluids.  It starts, runs, and gets me down the road.

5 hours ago, ronmanfredi said:

Ok, lets go over this really well.  Your 83 model came with the original GM CCC Computer control system that includes an HEI electronic ignition, various sensors, the CCC electric quadrajet carb and a computer mounted under the glove box from the factory.  The system controls the fuel mixture, ignition timing and the 200R4 automatic transmission lock up converter.  If you decide to remove the system and replace the carburator and distributor from a non CCC vehicle, your lockup converter function of the transmission will no longer work, unless you add a manual switch to engage it.  I have an 82 model which has the same system on it.  When purchased, the check engine light was on and the engine didn't run very well.  After rebuilding the CCC Quadrajet using parts from "quadrajet power store", replacing the O2 sensor and replacing all the vacuum lines, it now starts and runs very well.

engine left.JPG

Much Thanks!!!    I honestly assumed that the 83 was "Old School" points & condenser. I haven't jumped into the engine other than the a quick once over and top off of fluids.  It starts, runs, and gets me down the road.