Current choice for replacement rims

Guest Larry Delazzer

Guest Larry Delazzer

I know this subject has been beat to death but... I have purchased new reproduction bias ply

tires for my 63. Given the expense of these reproduction tires I would like to save them for

shows and update to radials for normal driving. My research shows rim NWRA 40273 was

discontinued many years ago and I prefer to buy new rims. What currently available rim is

available for a 63 Avanti that clears everything to mount some 205 75 r15 tires. Thanks

Guest Larry Delazzer

I know this subject has been beat to death but... I have purchased new reproduction bias ply

tires for my 63. Given the expense of these reproduction tires I would like to save them for

shows and update to radials for normal driving. My research shows rim NWRA 40273 was

discontinued many years ago and I prefer to buy new rims. What currently available rim is

available for a 63 Avanti that clears everything to mount some 205 75 r15 tires. Thanks

Man, apparently this is a tougher question than I thought, hope somebody comes through on this.

Larry

Dave Thibeault sells the correct offset in a Ford 6 x 15 and they are even powder coated the original color - beautiful wheels and Dave is a vendor that I frequent. You have to buy the lug nuts with bigger shoulders to securely mount them. Work perfectly on my 1963 and have had no trouble with the wheel covers coming off. Bob

Howdy Larry - I'm running same as you 205 75R15 - they fill the wheel well with no interference when turning or bumps. You can get Ford wheels cheaper but when you factor in powder coating Dave's are cheaper. I priced powder coating locally and found that they had no color that matched, Dave's are the correct color. Cheers Bob

Edited by AnAvantiR1for Bob

Guest Larry Delazzer

Hi Bob, well I checked Daves price and those babies are sure costly but I guess quality costs money. I'm gonna have to think about it a bit, just seems like a lot of money for steel wheels. Take care, Larry

Hi Larry, I am running Crager Chrome Keystone Klassic Wheels # 325799 on my 63 Avanti with no interference problems. These wheels are 15 X 7 with 5 x 4-1/2, 4-3/4 & 5" universal lug spacing & 3-3/4 rear spacing. I bought them through Jegs over a year ago. With lug nuts they were around $200 a wheel. Sorry I was unable to post a picture.

Guest Larry Delazzer

Hi Larry, I am running Crager Chrome Keystone Klassic Wheels # 325799 on my 63 Avanti with no interference problems. These wheels are 15 X 7 with 5 x 4-1/2, 4-3/4 & 5" universal lug spacing & 3-3/4 rear spacing. I bought them through Jegs over a year ago. With lug nuts they were around $200 a wheel. Sorry I was unable to post a picture.

Thanks for input, what size tire are you running. Larry

FWIW, the Ford 6"x15" wheels are quite a bit heavier than the OEM wheels. I noticed the extra unsprung weight. They're also quite a bit stronger than the OEM Stude wheels which will flex and eventually fail if an Avanti is driven hard with radial tires.

If one wants original appearance, then Dave's wheels are the way to go.

jack vines

Dave recommended to me a 225x75x15 tire ( I chose the Maxxis thin white walls from Coker https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styles/radial-tires/maxxis-narrow-whitewall-radial.html). They do look larger on my 1964 Avanti, I had previously run a set of 205x75x15s, a difference in height of 2", so the car sits about an inch higher. I really cannot decide if it makes a difference or not. I put the tires on the reproduction Halibrand wheels, which, while I am bias, I think look terrific. Someone told me now it looks like the Avanti Steve McQueen would have had, if he had one.

For images take a look at this thread:

"Replica Halibrand Wheels in hand"

Marc