Avanti Rake

mfg

Please explain the mistake you spoke of. In measuring the vehicle, I found the frame to be essentially level when at rest through its suspension. The majority of the body mounts on the frame are level. The mounting locations matching in the hog troughs are level. The relationship of the hog trough frame mounts to the body is where the less than 2 degree rake is. Please explain.

The Studebaker Avanti was designed to be 'On the level'....and it actually does sit that way with a full fuel tank and rear seat passengers....but when sitting 'empty' on what is basically a Studebaker Lark frame with the factory front and rear spring 'formulas',....It has the pronounced 'Avanti Rake'....Unintended in the original design layout. To put it another way, it's just where the body ended up! This is one of the first things the Altman's 'corrected' when they got the car. Please don't get me wrong here...once again, I think the 'rake' looks great...unintended or not.

Well that is one of the things that Altman messed up! I think part of the problem they faced was the way the SBC engine fits in the car. There is vary little clearance to the hood even with the front of the body raised compared to the Studebaker.