PS Reservoir lid

J Boyle

After trying to figure out where a PS fluid leak is coming from, we might have found a simple answer.

It seems the fluid is leaking from the seal where the reservoir lid meets the main unit.

The rubber gasket is there, but it doesn't seem to have been doing its job. There is also some corrosion inside the lid leading us to wonder whether air/moisture is getting in there.

It wasn't overly full, so its not just an overflow situation.

Also, when in use, is the reservoir pressurized that might raise the fluid level and allow it to weep from the lid/reservoir seal?

We'll try a thicker gasket (perhaps cork).

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Any other ideas on how to fix it?

The reservoir is not pressurized, but when the vehicle is in motion with the engine running, the fluid swirls around and certainly gets high enough to leak out of a bad lid gasket. I might have a spare lid gasket. Can you remind me of the diameter of the rubber gasket?

lackie at erols dot com

No joy. The ones I have are smaller. ID is 4 5/16" and OD is 5 1/16". Thickness is a little less, too -- about 3/32". I think these are gaskets for the pre-65 GM cannister oil filters. You're welcome to one, but they appear to be too small.

I'm surprised that SI does not list 1553298 as being available. However, given that these same P/S pumps were used for years on Ford products, a good FLAPS like NAPA might have them. Or a Ford restoration parts supplier.

Skip

Thanks for looking, I really apreciate your efforts.

I've made one from a sheet of rubber/cork and it seems to be working.

Fingers crossed...