interior light in Avanti II 1981

jlportugal

Hi, as a new member of the AOAI and new owner of an Avanti II 1981, I need to review the electrical aspect of my car. There is no lights fonctionning inside the car and the dashboard, which needs to be changed, has no lights illuminating the instruments.

Could you tell me first, how these instruments are illuminated (red or white)? I know that red and white bulbs are used in the Avantis.

Right now, only the panel in front the buttons ( electric windows, deicer and Aux. Lite) can be illuminated if you switch on the Aux Lite. What this Aux Lite button is for?

Thank you for your answer and forgive me if sometimes my english is akward. As a french citizen I am better in speaking english rather than in writing it.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis, Welcome to Avanti ownership,the AOAI and AOAI forum. The Aux lite switch is usually for the fog lights. You might want to check the fuse panel block located on the interior side of the firewall just above the carpet line above where you left foot would rest when in the drivers seat. There may be some blown fuses on the block. You can also check Bob Johnstone's Studebaker Resource page, accessed by the AOAI home page, clicking on the blue resources button under the forum button, then click on Studebaker info button on the right side. Do a search on the site for Avanti Electical systems and you should be able to find the wiring schematics for the Avantis. The schematics can be printed and you can study them to understand the wiring. I have a 76 and the dash lights are red. Good luck with tracking down your problem.

Thank you plwindish for your answer. Now I know that the dashboard is illuminated in red. I guess the buttons on the roof which are dedicated to light/int.light and fan are also illuminated in red. I have already printed the ellectrical wiring schematic from Bob Johnstone. They are usefull but, like many avantis I guess, mine has its wiring been modifyed.

When I turn on the Aux Lite switch, a red light is on in front of the switch. My Avanti doesn't have any lights under the front bumper (fog lights). So is this switch useless?

Thank you for your help.

Yes it sounds as if the fog lights were removed and you still have a live switch for the lights. Doing a search up front , you may be able to find the wires that fed the fog lights. The red light that lights up was a safety reminder so you don't leave the fog lights on by mistake. You do have a switch to power another accessory should you choose to. Personally, I would leave the switch in place, but find to wires termination point in front and make sure they are taped off should you choose not to re-install the fog lights. Good luck with your car.